jamie8dc

Can't connect to the internet through my router

I had my Linksys router working perfectly in October, but moved back home for a few months. I came back a week ago to the same apartment and got my internet hooked up from my ISP, and my CPU and router and modem are all still connected the same exact way I had it before when they were working.

I'm using the WRT54G router, all the cables are plugged in correctly. I used the CD to go through the setup process again, I make it all the way through, but where it used to automatically detect my settings, it now asks me to input them manually (IP address, gateway, DNS server, etc.) I don't know why all of a sudden I need to put these in myself, but I'm assuming that's because I'm having some problem. So I clicked on my "Local Area Connection" in the bottom right, go to properties, and I found all of these. It says they're "Assigned by DHCP", so I've tried both manually entering the numbers into the "Static IP" drop-down in the Setup, and just clicking "DHCP" and leaving Host Name blank.

I get to the end of the setup, and it says "The router is not able to connect to the internet. Try turning the Cable/DSL modem OFF and back ON again."

Well needless to say I've tried that a dozen times, no luck. I have cable internet, by the way.

All the lights on the router that need to be on are on. Same with my modem.

Suggestions?
Expert
Expert

Re: Can't connect to the internet through my router

You have cable internet?

Connect the modem to the internet port of the router.

Connect the computer which connected before to the internet through the modem directly to a LAN port of the router.

Now open http://192.168.1.1/ on that computer. Leave the username empty. Enter your password. The default password is "admin" if not changed with the CD configuration program.

You'll see the first setup page of the router. Set the internet connection type to "Automatic/DHCP" if not set at the moment. Press the Save Settings button.

Next go to the Status tab. Check the status of your connection. If you have correct public IP numbers there check if your computer can access the internet. If you have 0.0.0.0 there press the Renew button and wait until it finishes or you get an error message. If you get an error message please post the exact error message.

If you have 0.0.0.0 in the Status tab. Click on the Setup tab to get back to the first page. Click on the MAC Address Clone subtab. Enable the function and clone the IP address of the connected computer using the button on the page. Then press the Save Settings button.

Now go back to the Status page and try to renew the DHCP address. If it still does not work post what errors you saw...
reubs

I'm having the same problems here on my end. With Comcast in Virginia everything worked very well. With Mediacom here in Georgia the router does not want to cooperate. My problems are identical with those of the OP, and I can't seem to get the suggested methods to work to do what I need them to.

Thanks for any help.
Expert
Expert

Read my post again and do what I wrote including posting the exact error messages if you get some.
reubs

Thanks. I'll try it again tonight (or sometime soon), and report back with whatever I get. The router itself is broadcasting a signal that I can pick up on my Macbook, but when I log on to that network I'm not accessing anything. And I know that it's accessing my network b/c the network has a unique name that wouldn't be around here.
Expert
Expert

Don't try the wireless connection before you have not established a working wired connection. Wire the computer to the router and then see if you can get the internet connection working. After the router has a working internet connection you can see if you get the wireless working. You don't want to spend time fixing the wireless connection when the problem is the (wired) internet connection from the router to the internet.
reubs

Went back to try to set up this router, and I'm having a completely different problem. I get to step 8 in the configuration process, and the setup CD keeps asking me to enter my PW. I enter the default, and a few minutes later it asks for the same thing and hangs on this set up. I've tried to work with it two or three times, but no dice any time.

Any ideas?
Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]
Yes. Don't use the setup CD. Setup the router through http://192.168.1.1/ In the end it is always faster and more reliable to setup the router yourself instead of relying on a software which you don't know and which makes changes you don't know.

Message Edited by gv on 06-11-200708:02 AM

lskldevil

I have a linksys nr041 4 port router... It is linked between two computers, This one obviously is working correct. But the other wont connect to the internet. Any suggestions?
Expert
Expert

This is not related to this thread. Don't hijack threads. Start a new one.