Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lquach99

Connect 2wire dsl home portal to BEFSX41 router.

I have a 2wire dsl model (home portal) and I just bought the BEFSX41 router and would like to use all the features (DHCP, NAT, VPN, firewall, etc.) from the linksys router. Does anyone have any experience with connecting the two devices? Specifically, I am looking for help on how to configure the home portal to direct all traffic to the linksys router. The home portal has a dmz feature but is this the way to go?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Connect 2wire dsl home portal to BEFSX41 router.

Hi,
Its a regular setup of a router, i.e : depending isz your internet connection cable or dsl, the home portal will be configured with the linksys router.
Cheers
Anwar H.Kapasi
Security Consultant
BAS-
Consulting Manager-India
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com

based from my knowledge, the 2-wire modem is a modem-router, which has an ip of 192.168.1.x. so, what you do is to cascade the linksys router to the 2wire modem.

first connect a pc to the port1 of the linksys router and access the router's configuration page. open a web browser and type in the default ip of your linksys router on the address bar, use "admin" for the password.

once you are on the configuration page, you will see there the LAN IP/LOCAL IP address of the router, change it to 192.168.2.1 to avoid IP conflict on between the modem and the router. then save or apply the settings. 

once saved, turn off the router and connect now an ethernet cable from your modem to the internet/wan port of the linksys router. power on the router and check if you can go online..

if you have this settings, the router's will stilll be able to use the DHCP, NAT, VPN, and Firewall feature of the router.

The things you must consider when connecting a two-wire DSL Home to a linksys router is it's DHCP capability, and it's NAT.

Since your Two-wire is obviously configured already, try checking if the Two-wire has a DHCP server enabled and what is its IP adress. If it does, you may just leave it the same or disable the feauture before deciding to conect it to the linksys router

Given:

Two-wire (DHCP enabled, NAT enabled(if there is), IP adress: 192.168.1.254)
BEFSX41 (DHCP enbaled, NAT enbaled, VPN capable, IP adress: 192.168.1.1)

Joe, is right that to make these two devices working, you must change the third octect of it's subnet to a different number to change the range so that they won't experience an IP adress conflict.

Thus:

1st Scenario:

CABLING: (LAN to WAN connection type)
the CAT5 from ethernet port of your two-wire should be connected to the WAN/Internet port of the BEFSX41. No need to disable the DHCP server. And no need to disable NAT on the BEFSX41 if there isn't any NAT on two-wire.

IP adressing:
Two-wire will now get IP adress: still same default 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.254.1
BEFSX41 will now get IP adress: 192.168.2.1 or still same default: 192.168.1.1

2nd Scenario:

CABLING: (LAN to LAN connection type)
The Cat5 from ethernet port of your two-wire should be connected to any ethernet of your BEFSX41. DHCP should be disabled. Just take note of it's IP adress.

IP adressing:
BEFSX41's IP adress should be within the same range of two-wire.
Two-wire has IP adress: 192.168.1.254
BEFSX41 IP adress must remain as it is: 192.168.1.1

"a helping hand in a community makes the world a universe"
jbarr75119

I used your suggestion and connected my WRT54G router to my 2Wire SBC DSL modem/router.

Config:
2Wire - 192.168.1.254, DHCP enabled, WEP enabled
WRT54G - 192.168.2.1, DHCP enabled, WEP enabled

I have 3 PC's with Wireless-B WUSB11 network adaptors.  Each can connect to either the Linksys or the 2Wire and surf the web from the first floor.

I have a 2 story home and setup 2 of the PC's upstairs.  The signal indicates 'Low' strength to either router.  I bought a WRE54G Range expander and taller antennas for the WRT54G router thinking I could expand and / or increase the signal.

The WRE54G's config is 192.168.2.200, gateway is 192.168.2.1.

Should I see the expander from any of the 3 PC's? 
Should I also see the expander listed in the client table? 
How do I know the expander is helping? 
Will changing the channels help?  The channel setings are set at 6.(default setting)