Buonarroti

Default password for BEFSR41v4

I've attempted to access my router setup via my gateway address, but when prompted for the user name and password the default password of admin does not work. I've reset my router twice now, and still the default password does not work. Is there a different combination of usernames/passwords that I'm unaware of?
toomanydonuts

Re: Default password for BEFSR41v4

Please try this procedure to attempt to reset the router to factory defaults:

1)  Power down all computers, the router, and the modem, and unplug them from the wall.
2)  Disconnect all wires from the router.
3)  Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
4) Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release it, then let the router reset and reboot (2-3 minutes).
5)  Power down the router.
6)  Connect one computer by wire to port 1 on the router (NOT to the internet port).
7)  Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
8)  Power up the computer (if the computer has a wireless card, make sure it is off).
9)  Try to ping the router.  To do this, click the "Start" button > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.  A black DOS box will appear.  Enter the following:  "ping 192.168.1.1"  (no quotes), and hit the Enter key.  You will see 3 or 4 lines that start either with "Reply from ... " or "Request timed out."   If you see "Reply from ...", your computer has found your router.
10)  Open your browser and point it to 192.168.1.1.  This will take you to your router's login page.  In both the user name and the password field, enter "admin"  (with no quotes).  This will take you to your router setup page.  Note the version number of your firmware (usually listed near upper right corner of screen).  Exit your browser.

If you get this far without problems, try the setup disk (or manually set up the router, if you prefer), and see if you can get your router set up and working.

If you cannot get "Reply from ..." in step 9 above, your router is dead.

If you get a reply in step 9, but cannot complete step 10, then either your router is dead or the firmware is corrupt.  In this case, use the Linksys tftp.exe program to try to reload your router with the latest firmware.  After reloading the firmware, repeat the above procedure starting with step 1.   
central

Hi guys and Gals:

This is my first experience with this router, but having similar issue.  Only that it is also responsible for a network 4 computers and one internet connection.  I can't afford to lose the default settings, as I have no way of recovering the network hiarchy as it was set up by someone else.  Is there ANY way I can recover the pwd to this device without resetting?  The network can't afford the downtime, so I am hoping that someone can help.

Much appreciated

toomanydonuts

Your BEFSR41 would not be very secure if you could get the password from it, without resetting the router, would it?

If you have forgotten the router's password, the only way into the router is to have physical access (i.e. be present in the home or business), and to press the reset button, thereby reseting the router to factory defaults.

iam2ndiino1@gmail.com

username:  admin

password:  linksys

I have a BEFSR41 v4.2 and this is the combination that worked for mine.