Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
johnwinder

Ethernet port on cable modem not working?

Connecting my computer through the USB port I can access the internet but if I remove the USB cable and plug in a ethernet I can no longer access the net. This is causing problems as I need that port to connect to a router. I've tried a new ethernet cable. Is there something else I'm missing?

John

Re: Ethernet port on cable modem not working?

Is the NIC physically and logically installed? Do you get any error messages? What type of router do you use? Have you tried various ethernet cables to eliminate this?
johnwinder

Problem has been fixed. I had both cables plugged in at once and the computer was accepting the usb because that was the first one installed. The ethernet cable would have worked had I reset the modem after unplugging the usb which I did not do since the usb cable was working before disconnecting it. My wireless router would not work because one ip address was already being sent to my computer through the usb so no address was available for the ethernet. After removing the usb and connecting an ethernet cable from the modem to the router and another ethernet from the router back to the computer and then resetting the modem and router in that order, everything worked.

Thanks,
John

It's always the little things. :smileytongue: