Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
russcollier
Accepted Solution

Failed firmware upgrade bricked BEFSR41 v4.3

I downloaded the latest firmware upgrade for my BEFSR41 v4.3: FW_BEFSR41v4.3_2.00.4.5_20080603_code.bin

When I went through the router's web interface to upgrade the firmware, the firmware file seemed to upload fine, and the web page spent about 5 minutes or so on the "waiting" screen as if it was applying the firmware upgrade, then the page showed a generic HTTP error (that the server had stopped responding). After that I couldn't ping my router at all. I tried a hard reset (held down the reset button for 30s, pulled the power for 30s, etc. etc.) but the router's power light continually blinks.

Is there anything I can do to salvage it?

Niels Bonde Nielsen

Re: Failed firmware upgrade bricked BEFSR41 v4.3

Can you ping 192.168.1.1?

If so, download a tftp client and use that to upload the newest firmware.

Wizzard

First connect your modem and download the TFTP Utility...

Download Firmware 395 KB...

Download  TFTP Utility...

Hard reset your router again :
Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...If the power light is solid you may download and upgrade the firmware...Also make sure that your computer is set to obtain IP automatically, disable any firewalls, security softwares on the computer before trying to access the setup page.

If the power light is still blinking, reset your router again for a minute...After resetting the router check the lights again...

If the power light is still blinking you need to assign your computer a static ip address,

Click on the Start button >>> Settings >>> Control Panel >>>Network Connections- Right click on the icon for Local area connection and go to properties- On the 'General' tab select 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' and click on the Properties button- Select 'Use the following IP address'- Provide IP Address - 192.168.1.5 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1, click on ok button to Save and Click on "Close" on main Properties window...Also disable any firewalls, security softwares on the computer...

Click Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt...A black box will appear(Command Prompt)...In the Command Prompt window type ping 192.168.1.1 and press Enter, if you get 4 Replies then you should be able to upgrade your router's firmware...

At any point if you want to upgrade the router's firmware here are the instructions :

Double click the tftp.exe file and click run :
For Server- Enter the IP Address of the router that you assigned.  By default, the router is 192.168.1.1...
For Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.
For File- Click the triple “…” button and browse for the .bin firmware file...
Click Upgrade button to start upgrading.  A progress bar should show up to show the progress.

Once the Upgrade is done press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...
mookiemeister

Hi,

Is the BEFSR41 router salvageable if it's not pingable?  I have similar problem after I tried to upgrade the firmware on my router.  I tried to ping it at 192.168.1.1, but it's timed out.

I don't understand why I'm having so much problem with BEFSR41 router.  About a year ago, I got a WRT54GS wireless router.  And I was able to set it up without any problem, even upgrading the firmware.  But with BEFSR41 router, I just couldn't get it to work after setting it up in the same configuration as my WRT54GS without wireless capability.

mookiemeister

Ok.  I was able to restore my BEFSR41 router back to original state after using TFTP,0.exe program mentioned in another thread.

Now I just need to get this wired router to work like my WRT54GS wireless router (without the wireless part).

BarryH23

I tried the reset option Wizzard posted for this router and my router still remains with a flashing power light.

Do I need to remove any ethernet cable from the router, or do anything else.

I tried giving my pc a static ip but it didnt work I had to put dns and I put virgin media's dns as a dns was required when I put the obtain ip manually option checked.

Any help would be appreciated

Expert
sabretooth

BarryH23

Fixed this eventually

Do the step that Wizzard suggests with the reset once I did that I then ran the TFTP Utility software (Making sure I ran it as administrator by right clicking it then selecting the option)

It did not work prior to running it as administrator

I typed in 192.168.1.1 and put password which was my routers default "admin"  and then located the firmware I failed previously to upgrade to, and it succesfully installed it this way, after a few seconds the flashing stopped and I was able to load up the 192.168.1.1 GUI and it worked fine.

Hope this helps those of you stuck

I have Linksys BEFSR41 V4.2

eyebum

Hey there...

Story today on Slashdot and elsewhere pointing to this:
http://blogs.forbes.com/firewall/2010/07/13/millions-of-home-routers-vulnerable-to-web-hack/

Of course, the BEFSR41, with v4.3 is one of the routers that was able to be hacked with this exploit. It was 'bout time to look at that firmware, and sure enough, even though I had 2.00.4, it was build 5, from 2008. On the linksys page, build 7, from Jan 2010, was available. So I download and go through the web-interface to upgrade.

Brick.

I am running a mac.

The advice in this support thread was very helpful. I found TFTP for mac here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12146/mactftp-client

No, using terminal from Mac doesn't work. You need TFTP of some sort.

I went into system Preferences->network->built in ethernet. configure. Set the IPv4 to manual, set the settings as recommended above.

Now, I could NOT ping the router until I did this. once I had the settings in, I power cycled the router, and could ping.

started up MacTFTP, and everythng was butter after that. Router is fixed. once the upload finishes, it took about 10 seconds for the power light to quit flashing, so just be patient.

hardrive

worked perfectly.. tnx.. a lot.. u saved me $35.. ehehe.. tnx.. i just followed ur instructions.. tnx a lot