Steve Dirks

Help needed with BEFSR41 install

Friends . .

Yesterday I purchased the  following product.

One Linksys EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch Model BEFSR41 (Wired)

Okay so I followed the setup wizard with the installation disc and I was not able to proceed beyond the password prompt. Where it says admin is the default password. I enter a new password and the install aborts after trying to configure the system.  I was attempting to set up my HP Desktop to the router.

Here is my set up.  What I want to do is set up two computers to a Road Runner (Time Warner) cable modem. Modem model Motorola U1OCO18. A simple dual computer setup.

HP with Win XP SP2

I want to get this unit configured first.

Toshiba Laptop (new) with Win 7.

This unit will be added later once a stable config has been achieved

Any help is appreciated,

Regards,

Steve

Steve Dirks

Re: Help needed with BEFSR41 install

Many artists' entire careers consist of testing how well they bounce back from kicks in the teeth and run-ins with brick walls.

Come on some one has to have a fix here!

:smileywink: 

brickmonkey

Who is your ISP...?

Do not use the setup CD to configure the router...You can configure the router manually.Connect the modem to the router on the Internet Port and Computer to the router on Ethernet Port..Now,open the router setup page by typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.The default password is "admin"..Now,configure the router as per the ISP settings..

GRWpllps

I am trying to install my Linksys BEFSR41- Router with my Earthlink Broadband Modem to my Windows XP pc and having one heck of a time.  Earthlink Support says I don't have to Bridge the Modem before c0nnecting the router.  Ive tried it both ways by first going through earthlinks documentation and also without Bridging it all with the same result.  Coincedentially the Earthlink Modem is set with the same IP  198.168.1.1 , so trying to find the router with that IP is difficult/  Earthlink said to just swap the Ethernet from the modem to the Router, and the @1 port on the router to the PC without turning the devices off.  But no matter how I do it, I can never get connectivity once the router is online.  Anyone with any ideas, help if you can.?

Thank you,

G. Willis

rkymtn5280@hotmail.com

11/24/2012

jaymay

GRWpllps wrote:

I am trying to install my Linksys BEFSR41- Router with my Earthlink Broadband Modem to my Windows XP pc and having one heck of a time.  Earthlink Support says I don't have to Bridge the Modem before c0nnecting the router.  Ive tried it both ways by first going through earthlinks documentation and also without Bridging it all with the same result.  Coincedentially the Earthlink Modem is set with the same IP  198.168.1.1 , so trying to find the router with that IP is difficult/  Earthlink said to just swap the Ethernet from the modem to the Router, and the @1 port on the router to the PC without turning the devices off.  But no matter how I do it, I can never get connectivity once the router is online.  Anyone with any ideas, help if you can.?

Thank you,

G. Willis

rkymtn5280@hotmail.com

11/24/2012

If the modem and the router are on the same range, it would really create conflict and will not let the internet connection to be shared on the router. You will have to change the IP of the router to get it working. You may refer to this link for instructions: Setting up a Linksys router for DSL Internet connection.

GRWpllps

You are right about the conflict, but tried to use another friends computer and DSL connection to try to get into the Linksys Management Page.  Except for using Google, why would you think I could not get the IP  192.168.1.1 to open so I could change the IP so as to have a different ID than my Earthlink Modem.?  Maybe I make a trip to Best Buy tomorrow and see if I can have their service dept try.  Really wish that Circuit City was still around, they were the best.  Thanks for your help.  Really appreciate it.  GW.

Jake_2.0

You need to make sure that your computer could still communicate or ping your router. Once you’re able to do so then you can always access the router’s ui using “admin”as the default password. Once you’re in the router’s ui then you can follow jaymay’s link.  By the way, what was the message that you were getting when you try to access the router’s ui?