BubbaMac

How do I add device names to the DHCP device table in the BEFSR81 router?

My BEFSR81 is my primary router and has DHCP turned on.  The router's DHCP range is set to accommodate 12 devices.  I have three computers wired to it and their Host names (as specified in the set-up of each computer) show up in the router's DHCP device table.  I also have two printers (one old Brother HL5250DN laser printer and one new HP Photosmart Premier C410a inkjet printer) connected and there are blanks where the Host name should go.  I would like to be able to tell which printer is which when I am looking at the DHCP device table.  How can I get a names associated with each printer's IP address in the router's DHCP device table?  (The real problem is that the router seems to have both printers at the same IP address (192.168.1.100) and if I can get one of them to change I'd like to know whihc one it was!)

Expert
Expert

Re: How do I add device names to the DHCP device table in the BEFSR81 router?

The DHCP server table only shows the name which the client provided. If the printers don't provide their host names there is nothing you can do.

Printers should generally have static IP addresses assigned. Instead of using DHCP for the printers set static IP addresses on the printers outside the DHCP server address pool, i.e. outside 192.168.1.100-149.