tisdale91

How to find my ip address and use it to Remote Desktop to my PC????

All I have a Linksys router and I'm trying to find my ip address so that i can connect to my PC via remote desktop connection feature of XP.

I followed Frank's instructions (posted under Re: true ip address on 8/1/06) and retrieved my ip address from logging into my router and looking under the Status tab.

I also went to the web site he provided to double check it. Both numbers were the same.

However, I am still not able to connect to my PC via the remote desktop connection feature of XP.

Is there other information I need to provide during the remote desktop connection?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
BVS
BVS

Re: How to find my ip address and use it to Remote Desktop to my PC????

Windows XP used UDP Port 3389 for RDP communications. If you are trying to connect to your PC at home through your firewall, you will have to Port Forward UDP 3389 to the internal IP address of your PC. It is best that you assign your PC a Fixed IP address and not use DHCP.

Although this can be done, I would not do it as it is a BIG security risk.

Best of luck.
tisdale91

Thanks for the input, but there's got to be a more straightforward way than that. Surely I ain't the first person to try this. :smileyhappy:

Anybody else care to weigh in on this.

Frustrated:smileymad:
norcalbmxer

that is the straightfoward way to do it.... he made it about as simple as possible....
aladar

That is the only way to do it. To find your ip address, try the following:

findmyip.org
Security718

I hate to tell you this but most likely you are going to have to have a server in order to use the remote desktop connection that is in Windows XP Pro. I would suggest that you try using Symantec's PcAnywhere. You do not have to have a server to use this program and there are step-by-step wizards available to help you in setting everything up.
Ikester

[ Edited ]
To use the Remote desktop on my PC it had to be assigned the DMZ.  It worked fine until I turned the DMZ off.  You can find the IP under the status page and the ip assigned to that PC under the DHCP routing I believe.  Try that and let me how it works for you.   Good luck.

That PC  was also a game server so it was set up that way so other users could access it when ever they needed to.

Message Edited by Ikester on 10-04-200601:51 PM

Richard Aichner (Ikester)
hrnedd5

can some one help me how to fine my ip adress please on my desttop
linksysinfo

hrnedd5 wrote:
can some one help me how to fine my ip adress please on my desttop

Start, Select "Run" type in the box:

cmd

now click ok and type in the command prompt window:

ipconfig

or

ipcofig /all

for a better configuration of your PC's IP address etc.
Regards Simon

NAS: TS-459 Pro - 3.6.1 Build0302T - 4 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ : EXT4 - APC ES 700VA UPS
QPKG: WordPress 3.4, TwonkyMedia 6.0.39 QPKG - Zenphoto1.4.2.1 [7802] - phpMyAdmin v3.3.10
Network: Netgear DG834G V4.01.40 - DGTeam Rev. 0849 -> Cisco RV220W 1.0.4.13, Cisco SLM2008, Dlink DSM-520, Xbox360
rmatrix

Go at http://cqcounter.com/whois/ and you will see “Your IP address is …” (this is your IP address).