JCarol
Accepted Solution

Is it Possible to Have Wired Intranet & Wireless Internet???

I'm hoping that someone here can help me.  I have a retail store that moves weekly from location to location in the same way that craft fairs and county fair retailers change location.  The host location provides free internet access for credit card approvals and all other needs, and I have no problem accessing that wireless feature. 

We have five laptop with point of sale software. One has the software with the customer database, stock list and inventory levels.  The others connect to that program and database via a Zdrive intranet connection. 

Here's the problem.  We have been using the wireless capabilities of the laptops to communicate with each other to access the point of sale software, but it is slow and unreliable.  The laptops are all on a single counter, and are close enough to one another to be connected to a router via ethernet cables. 

So......  can I set this up to continue tapping into the provided wireless internet, but also have a wired intranet?  Will it work? 

If so, what kind of router do I need and is this a simple or easy task?  (While I'm not necessarily skilled enough to set this up myself, I do have someone who can help me with it.)

I thank you in advance for your help.    

Expert
Expert

Re: Is it Possible to Have Wired Intranet & Wireless Internet???

Yes. That will work. Your laptops can connect wirelessly to the Internet and at the same time you can have wired connections.

I don't need a router to connect them. A simple Ethernet switch would be sufficient. You can set static IPs on the wired connections. You don't set a default gateway on the wired connections. This way the laptops will still use the wireless connection for internet.
JCarol

Expert
Expert

Correct. That would work.