Tschurin

Laptop won't recognize router

Recently bought a BEFSR41 to use for my Verizon DSL connection [using a Westell wirespeed modem]. The DSL/modem/router works fine with my desktop, a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP professional service pack 3.

However my Thinkpad T61 laptop[also running Windows XP professional service pack 3] does not seem to recognize the BEFSR41.

Before getting the router I had hooked up the laptop directly to the modem and the internet connection worked fine.

Yesterday I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon expertcare premium technical support. They had me go to the Linksys settings, change the PPPoE to “Obtain an IP automatically.” They also had me unplug the router, modem and reboot the computer. I even tried a new Ethernet cable.

The Thinkpad still does not recognize the router [in control panel/device manager] and I still cannot connect to the internet. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff Foisie

Tschurin

Re: Laptop won't recognize router

[ Edited ]

I just saw the post below: "notebook will not work with router."

His problem seems very similar to mine, so I will try the recommendations offered in reply to his post.

Message Edited by Tschurin on 01-27-2010 12:12 PM
Expert
Expert

Wire your desktop directly to the modem. Make sure you have internet, open a command prompt window, enter "ipconfig /all" and copy the full output into your next post.

The wire the internet port of the BEF to the modem. Connect your desktop to the BEF and check again you have a working internet connection. Do "ipconfig /all" again and post it.

Finally, wire the laptop into the BEF and copy the "ipconfig /all" from the laptop into your next post, too.
dibbler

Make sure that there should no static ip address on the Dell Laptop...Connect the Dell Laptop to the router and check the ip address you are getting from the router.Please post all the information in your next post so that we can give you the best possible solution.
Tschurin

[ Edited ]

gv and dibbler: Before I follow through on your suggestions, the peculiarity of my setup may in fact explain the problem.

I apparently don’t have internet connection all the time; rather I have what's labeled as a “Verizon dialer” logo which, when clicked on, establishes an internet connection [broadband via WAN miniport PPPoE]. I often disconnect when not using the internet. I probably had it set up that way when my original BEFSR41 stopped working, so that my computer system would be less vulnerable to security issues. Although I now have a replacement BEFSR41, the Verizon dialer setup remains. The problem apparently is, that only one such internet connection can exist at a time, so that when my desktop is connected, the laptop connection can’t be established; and vice versa, even though both computers are connected to the modem via the router. 

I hope the above makes sense; at least I now know that disconnecting the desktop will allow me to connect the laptop to the internet,

Geoff

Message Edited by Tschurin on 01-28-2010 03:59 PM
Message Edited by Tschurin on 01-28-2010 04:04 PM
Expert
Expert

The Verizon Dialer creates a PPPoE connection from your computer to your ISP directly. Most normal consumer ISP contracts only allow you to have a single active internet connection at any time. Thus, using that dialer you can only connect a single computer at any given time.

But that's what the routers is made for: to connect to the internet and share that single connection with other devices.

You have to set up the BEFSR41 for your internet connection, i.e. you have to configure PPPoE on the BEF with the username and password supplied by your ISP. Then the BEF will connect to the internet for you. Do not use the dialer on your computer!

Do you have the necessary information from Verizon, i.e. the username and password to connect with PPPoE? The username should be shown somewhere in the properties of the dialer.
Tschurin

Thanks for all your help on this question and the other one I posted. I apologize for not responding more promptly; aside from work I’ve gotten bogged down the past few days digging out from Washington, DC’s great blizzard.

As strange as it may seem, I’ve decided to stick with having just one computer connected to the internet at any given time. I know that doesn’t take advantage of what the router does, but for my needs it will work fine, until about a year from now, when I intend to upgrade to new computers running Windows 7 and a wireless router. I’ve read there will be a new improved wireless standard in place by then and that the wireless security of Windows 7 is better as well. I keep my desktop and laptop in sync using pcsync, which uses a USB cable between the two computers, so I don’t need the router for that either. 

If I’m wrong on the above don’t hesitate to let me know; again, thanks for all the input.