Blesstha40oz

Linksys RT41-BU Router

was wondering if someone could assist me on this situation, i have a linksys rt41-bu wired router, ive gone into access restrictions, setup the ip,ect and listed sites to block, my main concern is im trying to block my daughters computer from being able to connect to myspace.com....as a father i know some of these sites arent good for younge teenagers....was wondering if someone could give me some kinda of assistance would be greatly appriciated
Expert
Expert

Re: Linksys RT41-BU Router

What exactly is the problem with the setup? You write you did set it up but not what the actual problem with the setup is. Is it not working?

Despite of that, I don't think you will succeed this way to block your daughter. Even if you enter the name of the website into the blocking list it only blocks access to this particular host name. It only blocks the name not the server. If you enter www.myspace.com into the list of blocked web sites she could still connect to any of the servers at 216.178.38.130, 216.178.38.129, 216.178.32.52, 216.178.38.116, 216.178.38.131, 216.178.32.49, 216.178.38.104... And even if you block them all, all she needs to find is a proxy server (or a friend who runs one) through which she can connect.

You must also make sure that there are no open wireless networks in your neighborhood. If you shut down her whole internet connection she still could plug in a cheap USB wireless adapter and surf unlimited through your neighbor's network.

It is basically impossible to reliably block access to specific internet sites on a router like that against someone who is willing to find a way to circumvent it. It is always possible and your daughter most likely won't have a problem finding someone at school who shows her how to do it...
Blesstha40oz

alright so out of curiousity if i do block those sites u listed does myspace redirect to the next available server ?  if not i may be able to settle for allowing her myspace during certain time frames i guess, another things i def would like to try eliminating is there a way to block yahoo messanger and aol messanger from being able to access the internet....if i cant settle for myspace i would like to try settling from those programs cause i know she gets there info and she chats with them all on those specific programs...if i can try eliminating the chatting might learn her away a lil from myspace....ur thoughts would be appriciated
Expert
Expert

I don't think myspace redirects anything. In the internet everything is based on IP addresses. When you open a web site in your browser, your computer connects to the IP address of the web server and asks for the web site. It is all based on the IP addresses like 216.178.38.131.

The host name you enter in your browser "www.myspace.com" is simply a mean to make it easier for people - humans. You have a hard time to remember 216.178.38.131 but you can easily remember www.myspace.com. The DNS service in the internet resolves host names to IP addresses which are used to connect to the server. As myspace is pretty popular they don't run a single web server but have several web servers to share the load at different IP addresses, some of them I have posted before. I have not checked how many they have exactly at the moment. But they may as well change the IP addresses at any time or add more.

If you block those IP addresses and the hostname www.myspace.com all your daughter has to do is find a new IP address which you have not blocked, yet. If she cannot find one she can still try to use a free web proxy in the internet to connect. Web proxies relay connections. Her browser connects to the completely different address of the proxy and the proxy accesses myspace. She could also simply ask a friend to setup a proxy for her on their broadband connection...

It does not matter if you block it at certain times or all the times. The only reliable thing you can do is to cut her whole internet connection taking her computer away. Otherwise, even if you block all internet access to her computer in your router she might secretly plug in a USB wireless adapter and use your neighbor's open wireless router (if you have neighbor's and they are running an open wireless router for which chances are something like 50-50, I guess).

For the same reason you cannot block messengers from accessing the internet. You can block the service ports involved in this but this again only works until she find a way around it. In other words, if she really wants to chat she'll find a way to chat. The security you can implement on the router is very primitive. It works maybe in companies where people kind of accept it and don't have the time and energy to break the security (or they don't want to loose the job...).But for someone you really wants to get past the security there is always a way to get past it. And kids usually help each other to get past it very quickly...

You can buy some parental control software and install it on her computer. It is updated frequently to block what you want to keep from her. But even with this software, it is more like a battle between your daughter finding ways to circumvent the block until the software is updated and blocks it again... But this maybe a way you want to go, anyway.