i have a linksys BEFSX41router with firmware version 1.52.10 with AT&T dsl speed stream modem. this is the problem. every once in a while the internet will stop working for no reason. i check the ip status on the linksys router and it tells me that it has a valid ip address, subnet, and dns. if i disconnect the ip address and then reconnect it will give me a new ip address but the internet will still not work. i spoke with AT&T level 2 tech support and told me to put the speed stream modem in bridge mode and let the linksys router to the authentication. well, that seemed to help for about a month or so and now it is doing it again. when this problem happens, the only way to get the internet to work again, i have to reboot both the speed stream modem and the linksys router. has anyone had this problem and found a solution, please let me know. i am at my wits end and i am ready to dump the dsl and go back to cable modem.
Same exact problem here. I use AT&T, the BEFSX41, and have 1.52.10 firmware. There IS a firmware problem... several problems I've found. But sometimes I'll be listening to a radio stream and it works fine, but if I try to access the router, connection refused. No reason. It just stops working. UDP packets incoming are no problem, but I can't connect to the router.
The only way to fix it is to reset the router. But even that sometimes doesn't work. I don't know if this is a firmware issue here, or AT&T is just a little slow with establishing PPPoE connections, but I have to click Disconnect and Connect sometimes half a dozen times before I can get an IP address. Sometimes the login information is invalid, or the PPPoE server just times out. I have my Speed Stream in bridge mode as well.
My primary DNS server address just changed today when I had this PPPoE login problem and finally got a new IP. Entering a numeric IP address should bypass any lookup issues, if this is the problem. I know. I have had some prior troubles...
Did you have the BEFSX41 with cable? If not, and you do switch back to cable, try the router with your cable modem. See if there's any difference. Make sure to change your MTU though. Cable is usually 1500. My PPPoE MTU is 1492. You'll probably use DHCP too for cable.
I think they would do well to begin releasing new Linksys routers based on Linux, like the WRT54GL line. They wouldn't have to deal with so many issues YEARS after the router's initial release. Let the users support themselves through open source code. Hasn't it worked well for the current GPL coded routers? Let consumers work on bug fixes. Let consumers optimize code, rather than programmers who have to meet deadlines and might overlook the little things. I'm guessing that more than 75% of consumers don't even know that they CAN update the firmware on their router.
But I'm digressing. Back to the point. I have the same setup you do. Settings are not the problem. Some are firmware. We just have to wait for the next update from Linksys.
i think that i made a discovery with the linksys router. after about an hour of messing around with the router and willing to try anything i changed the connection setting from connect on demand to keep alive. as soon as i did that i worked immediantly. i spoke to the data guy who works for my company and he told me that it wad odd to have the connection type at connect on demand. i never changed that setting until now. so, see if that help your problem as well.