NAT... should I enable?

I was looking around on the Internet and saw that my SR41 was enabled with NAT technlogy. I guess this makes your internet connection more secure?. I was thinking that router already acts as a firewall and both computers have up to date anti virus/firewall software already running. In this case would it make sence to enable the NAT? Thanks in advance for any help.:smileyhappy:
Running a Dell and an older Gateway on Cable connection with a BEFSR41 v 4.2
toomanydonuts

Re: NAT... should I enable?

If you have more than one computer on your network, you are probably already using NAT.  If your LAN IP address is 192.168.1.x   then you are using NAT.

NAT should definitely be enabled.  NAT (network address translation) takes your (public) Internet address and translates it into a (private) LAN IP address.   The advantage of a private address, such as 192.168.1.x   is that the address is "not routeable" over the Internet.  That is, no one can send data directly to 192.168.1.x   If you have a network printer, this saves you tons of paper because nobody (except you and those on your private LAN) can send documents to your printer!

The other important feature of NAT is that it lets the router "ignore" any unrequested data that comes in over the Internet.   This stops many attacks across the Internet.  This is actually the primary protection that the router provides for your network.  The "firewall" in the router primarily protects the router, and provides only mimimal protection for your computers.  It is actually the NAT that is doing most of the "protection" work on your network.  The NAT is doing a job that is similar to what a software firewall does.

Well it shows up as disabled in the setup page. But Im not sure what the system IPs are, the router is 192.168.1.1. This only works locally. Ok, I did an ipconfig and the systems ( mine anyway ) is 192.168. 1. xxx , so does this mean that NAT is working without me turning it on?
toomanydonuts

I cannot explain how your computer got a 192.168.1.x   address with NAT disabled, unless, perhaps, you assigned it a fixed LAN IP address.  Normally when NAT is disabled, the DHCP server is also automatically disabled.

You should have NAT enabled.

Additionally, unless you have a specific need for a fixed LAN IP address in your computer:
Your computer should be set to obtain an IP address automatically from the DHCP server in the router.
The DHCP server in the router should be turned on.

[ Edited ]
Thanks for your help. I will go turn that stuff on ASAP. :smileyhappy: Thanks again!!

PS: It says : Filter Internet NAT redirection, is this what I want to enable?

Message Edited by AndySR41 on 04-18-200709:56 AM

toomanydonuts

Leave the "Filter Internet NAT Redirection" set to its default value of "disabled".

To ensure that NAT is enabled, go to the "Setup" tab, "Advanced Routing" subtab.
There you will see "NAT"  ---  set it to "enabled".

Thanks so much for your help. :smileywink: