Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jbrehm

Port Forwarding not working, Strict NAT, Xbox Live

Hi,

I am using a BEFSR41v4 router, and after following numerous methods for port forwarding an Xbox Live connection my NAT still comes back as 'strict'.

For the sake of recieving a speedy response to this mind-numbing problem, I will lay everything out in detail:

I currently have ports 53, 80, 88, and 3074 forwarded (on both protocols) to my laptop's static IP address. All of this matches the standard procedure for opening up an NAT. I also have 'block anonymous requests' disabled, multicast enabled, and UPnP enabled. I just finished upgrading my firmware, and I set my MTU to 1452 (based on another person's suggestion).

None of this has worked. I have unplugged my router and modem many times to no avail. I even reset the router and then re-did all of that ^, again to no avail.

By the time i recieve a response to this, I will not have any hair left, that's a promise.

Please help if you can.

Expert
Expert

Re: Port Forwarding not working, Strict NAT, Xbox Live

Is the BEF connected directly to the internet? Check the IP address on the Status page of the router. If it's an IP address like 192.168.*.* your modem is also a router. The IP address on the status page of the BEF must be identical to the IP address as seen from the internet on a service like http://www.showmyip.com/
jbrehm

Thanks for responding so quickly!

No, I have a Charter modem (cheap piece of trash) connected to my BEF...router, which is then connected to three other computers and my xbox.

jbrehm

However, the IP address on my status page is vastly different from the one your link provided. The address your link provided is something I've never seen before and does not follow the standard 192.168.etc that i would expect, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Expert
Expert

What is the IP address on the status page?

If it's different from the IP address on http://www.showmyip.com/ then the modem is most likely also a router.
jbrehm

192.168.2.100 is on the status page.

Okay, so my modem is a router. I must have a bad understanding of what a router is. I see now from previous posts what the problem might be.

My modem is a Webstar DPC2100R2 series. Do I need to bridge it somehow? I've tried googling this but I honestly have no idea how to go about bridging it. Not even sure what bridging means, willing to do anything at this point though.

Expert
Expert

You have two chained routers. That means all incoming internet traffic which you want to forward into your LAN ends at the Webstar. Thus, you can configure any port forwarding you want on the Linksys it won't work. You can use UPnP on the Linksys it won't work. As long as you don't configure port forwarding on the Webstar everything will end at the Webstar and will never get to the Linksys.

Options:

1. You configure port forwarding on the Webstart to the Linksys and on the Linksys to your PC/Xbox. Complicated and probably not very stable.

2. You configure the Webstar into bridge mode (i.e. configure it into a simple modem) and then the Linksys for your internet connection. The Linksys is then directly connected to the internet and you only have to configure port forwarding on the Linksys.

3. You configure the Webstar as router and set up the Linksys like a simple access point. Then you only have to configure port forwarding on the Webstar.
jbrehm

Could someone help me put my modem into bridge mode? This is the solution I wish to go with, but the Modem's configuration website (by entering 192.168.1.10 in the HTML bar) has absolutely no options. They're available, but trying to access them prompts an error that says I currently do not have access to those options. I'm sure this is probably a problem I can only solve by contacting my ISP, but if someone knows of an alternative way to bridge my Webstar, I'd love to hear it.

Gollum

To convert the modem in the bridge mode you need to contact the internet service provider.

jbrehm

Thought I would post an update, I've gone through two modems and my ISP has been unable to get me into bridge mode/ has been entirely unhelpful.