eyendall
Accepted Solution

Problem Setting-up Port Forwarding with Two Routers.

I cannot set up port forwarding through Linksys RT31P2 and WRT160Nv3 routers.

My set up is Webstar Modem=RT31P2=WRT160N=Mac OS 10.6.5. (Modem not configurable and ISP not impeding port forwarding. Issue is with two Linksys routers.)

I have had a Monty-Pythonesque go around with Cisco chat support; and a followup with telephone support in which the agent knew nothing about port forwarding and his superviser opined that it was not possible with two routers. Sigh.

So can someone help me with precise and simple step-by-step instructions for setting-up the routers. i know the basic procedures. What I am not clear about is exactly what changes are made on which routers.

I have read what portforward.com has to say and it doesn't work so I must be misunderstanding something.

My computer ip address is 192.168.1.103.  Are the last three digits of this address entered into both routers in the box on the port forwarding page? What other changes must be made to which router?

I know the port numbers I am using are OK since I can set up successfully if I connect to only one or other of the routers (but not with both), and my p2p software shows port is open.

Any help and suggestions most gratefully received.

Expert
Expert

Re: Problem Setting-up Port Forwarding with Two Routers.

You main router (RT31P2) is at LAN IP 192.168.1.1.

Reconfigure the WRT as access point. Set LAN IP 192.168.1.2. Disable DHCP server. Wire one of the LAN ports of the WRT to the RT31P2.

Now configure port forwarding on the RT31P2 and only there.

You don't want to operate the second router (i.e. the WRT above) as router and do chained forwardings. That's a mess.
eyendall

Thanks for this.

I have other computers and devices linked to the WRT160N wireless network. Will disabling the DHCP server affect their internet access?

Also, I may misunderstand these things but my RT31P2 seems to have the address 192.168.15.1.  On the port forwarding page, the ip entry is to a box 192.168.15.xxx. Would i enter, from my computer, 103 in the xxx box?

Again thanks for your help.

Expert
Expert

If you set it up like I have suggested you only have a single LAN which will use in your case 192.168.15.* addresses. Thus in your case:

1. Change the LAN IP address of the WRT from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.15.2.
2. Disable the DHCP server.
3. Connect LAN port of WRT to LAN port of RT.

That's it. DIsabling the DHCP server will not affect anything as you are connected LAN-LAN and the DHCP server on the RT is still operational.

After the change, the computers connected previously to the WRT may need a reboot to get a new 192.168.15.* address.

Your computer to which you forward should have a static IP address and not a dynamic (changing) one. Check the current IP information on that computer. It should have an IP address like 192.168.15.103, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.15.1 and DNS server 192.168.15.1 or maybe two other IP addresses instead. Write down the DNS servers if you don't have 192.168.15.1.

Then set up a static IP address on the computer. Use something like 192.168.15.10, 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.15.1 and the DNS servers as you have found before.

After that set up port forwarding to 192.168.15.10.
eyendall

Very clear and much appreciated. I'll get to work on it. Many thanks.

I have been googling this subject for the last several days and there is surprisingly little information about port-forwarding through two routers. What little I have found is either incomplete , inaccurate, or too obscure for most people to follow. If you could somehow do a digest of all this and post it as a sticky i think it would be very helpful to many.

Expert
Expert

Search these forums. Generally, it's better to set up the second router as wireless access point only to get a single LAN (which is what I have described above).

However, in other threads, I have described a chained router setup and how port forwardings through two routers would work. But in general, you don't want to do this as it is overly complicated and usually unnecessary as people don't want two separated LANs but actually only a single LAN.
bcworld

[ Edited ]

Hi, I am getting fiber to the road and off wireless broadband, living in the country.

I have the modem with a dlink 825 wireless rtr off the modem and cat5 tfrom the shop there to the house. I want to connect the cat5 to a linksys 600n wirless rtr but use it as layer 2 only for the wireless.

I have disabled dhcp on the 600n, plugged dlink switch port to lnksys switch port. Turned off the linksys firewall.

Is there anything else or will the lan ports pass the pakets so the internet may be reached?

Does the linksys need an ip? How would I assign one since it is a switch port?

They are coming tomorrow incase anyone might have time for an answer.

Many thanks

Bruce

Expert
Expert

Red this thread. It answers your questions.