praks

QuickVPN access problems with RV042

Hi,

I am facing VPN connectivity problems to RV042 using QuickVPN. It works from some places and it doesn't work from another. It works well from my home broadband connection. But, it doesn't work from some other places. Whenever I travel to other customer places, it connects and disconnects with the message "remote gateway not responding". But, PPTP works.

I have all firewalls disabled on my computer. Is it so sensitive it depends on the settings of the environment and router? At the same time, in the customer environments, they use frequently other VPN clients like Cisco etc and connect successfully.

When other clients are working without any problem, what special setting is required for QuickVPN to work? It will be difficult and annoying to ask them to open some ports for QuickVPN to work, though I don't know the port.

Any information on this will be helpful.

Best Regards
Prakash
praks

Re: QuickVPN access problems with RV042

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? Or I am the only one facing this problem. I think it is not problem with the device RV042 and something to do with QuickVPN client software. Can someone share their experience with other devices for connecting to vpn device from different environments?

Any suggestions will be of great help.

Thanks
Prakash
dibbler

If you have tried many thing like rebooting, reloading firmware and re-installing the VPN or dial in connection, you still get the same problem. I will suggest to check the router settings and make sure TCP Port 1723, IP Protocol 47  are opened. Also make sure that the router has the PPTP enabled and not firewall block the traffic.
praks

Thank you for the response Dibbler. The issue is that I don't have access to the router to enable the ports. I think 1723 port is enabled as PPTP works for me. Only quickvpn doesn't work. I am able to connect from my home broadband connection. When I travel to different places and try to connect from their environment to my VPN router, quickvpn fails but PPTP works. What port does it use? Since it is customer environment, it is very difficult to open ports for my use. When all other VPN clients are able to work on the same environment without any change, I am wondering why special port has to be opened for QuickVPN to work. Do you have any idea on this?
blitz

Your not the only one with this problem. I have an RV082 and can get PPTP to work all day long and I have never been able to get the quickvpn client to work. There has to be a resolution for this problem.
jab62

I am having the same problem with the RV082.  I can access using the PPTP but can not use quick VPN.  I have been using the quick vpn for 2 years and it just stopped working.  Firmware is 1.3.6.  I have reset router and reconfigured but it did not fix the problem.   I am also looking for help!!
lcravens

I just purchased a RV042 for a client and am having a similar problem.  I can connect with Quick VPN only on a wired connection.  I cannot get it to work on a wireless connection.  Re-loaded firmware without any success.  Reconfigured the VPN with no success.  My client is not very happy because most people that utilize a VPN on a laptop access their corporate or home network from a wireless access point.  Not very happy so far with this product.  Also have very slow connect compared to any other VPN clients like the full blown Cisco or SonicWall clients.  Didn't see any other posting hits with any suggestions other than to tweak ports on every access point you connect to.
microe08

Spent hours trying to get the QuickVPN Client to connect to a RV042 on two different PC's, Both running Windows Vista.  I scoured the forums and tech-notes and setup guides and nothing would connect me.  I we get to the verifying network screen and no further.

So I de-installed QuickVPN, went to Network Connections on Vista and created a new VPN connection using Vista's own VPN.  Specify the IP address of the Gateway and the Username and password I created in the VPN Access list on the RV042.  30 seconds later I was connected with all sorts of capability. 

Name resolution can be a bit shakey depending on what the DNS/WINS situation is like, sooo, just setup an LMHOSTS file on the client.

Works like a charm.
praks

It doesn't work for me either in wireless network. I have opened a support call with Linksys. Let me see if there can find a solution.

Has anyone made GroupVPN or client-to-tunnel work with any of the free VPN clients like OpenSWAN or so. Can cisco vpn client be used with RV042? Trying to explore the option of other clients than QuickVPN.