Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
datahi

RJ45 Maximum Cable Length

[ Edited ]

I am running a wrt54g and I was woundering what is the longest rj45 cable length I can run?

I notice running about 30 plus feet connection does not work. When I cut off about 5 feet it worked. Seems I can only run a ceratin amount of cable length with this router.

Any solutions on possibly running at a longer distance?

Message Edited by datahi on 01-04-2009 01:57 AM
toomanydonuts

Re: RJ45 Maximum Cable Length

In theory, an ethernet cable can be run 100 meters (about 328 feet).  However, cables can pick up electrical noise on long runs.  Also, some cables are poorly made.  The longer the cable, the more important it is for the cable to be properly shielded, and to be a good quality cable.

It sounds like you might be making your own home made cables.  You will need to be very careful about the shielding when making long cables.  For long runs, you might prefer to buy a professionally made cable. 

Note that there are several types of cable available for ethernet, including cat 5, cat 5e, and cat 6.

Cat 5e has better shielding than cat 5.

Cat 6  has better shielding than cat 5e.

What speed is your ethernet connection?  If you are running a gigabit connection, you need a Cat 6 cable.  If you are running a 10/100 connection, a cat 5e should be adequate for the length you need.

Also, when running cable, try to avoid (or minimize) running it parallel and close to other electric wires.  Ideally, ethernet cables should cross other electric wires at right angles, but obviously this is not always possible.

datahi

Thank you for your response. But unfortunatly the cable I am using is a cat5e.  So seems I am back to square one.

Anymore suggestions?

toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]

Maybe the cable is bad.  Have you tried a different cat 5e cable?

Is the cable home made?  Have you tried a high quality professionally made cable?

I routinely run a 50 foot Belkin cat 5e on a 10/100 line without any problems.

Hope this helps. 

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 01-06-2009 12:58 AM
chunkeymonkey

If your making your own I would suggest buying a cable tester, saves a lot of stress.

alien
datahi

Well the cable make is a General cable cat 5e 24 awg from Homedepot.  Maybe this cable is not thick enough.
chunkeymonkey

If your making your own you can get 1000ft. of raw cable for a good price.

Just make check the brand, I've seen Belden cable for $39.

alien

General Cable is a good brand.  24awg is standard.  Cat5e 350MHz UTP will do 1Gb.  A basic cable tester will eliminate the simple problems of continuity.  Any computer shop shouldn't have a problem testing the cable for you.
robert.knapp@norstan.com

Nice thread.  Today I switched ISP's and the modem doe not have a wireless built in.  Had to dust off old wireless router.  Have run of about 75 ft with CAT6 and the cable has worked for 2 years connected to a modem.gateway by 2wire.  After connecting the plenum cable (75 ft run) I lost the signal.  Pretty sure the linksys can't handle that kind of run.  SHould I go get a real switch or connect an old cisco 831 to the wireless router to see if I can establish a link over that longer cable run...