mladents

RV042 PPPoE connection, static IP?

Is it possible to setup a static ip address to wan interface using pppoe?
I have adsl connection, modem in bridged mode in front of rv042, and i have a pool of 6 public ip addresses from my ISP. There is about 30 computers in LAN, so putting one public address on router LAN interface is not the solution. There is no option in pppoe tab to insert a static ip. DDNS is not the solution, because i need a static ip for LAN-LAN vpn connections.

Thanks.
dibbler

Re: RV042 PPPoE connection, static IP?

well there is no such feature in the router that you can setup PPPoE encapsulation with the static IP address provided by ISP...so i believe, if you have static IP addresses provided by ISP you need to setup one of the IP address in the "static IP" under the WAN connection type then only you can able to communicate with the WAN interface of the router...let me know if you have any questions.
sonilogics

Re: RV042 PPPoE connection, static IP?

First of all, what are you trying to accomplish with your VPNs? Client to host, client to gateway, or gateway to gateway?

What sort of modem did your carrier provide?

Sounds to me like you're in need of a real firewall if you're looking to use multiple IPs.

When you get a block from your carrier, here's how it usually goes:

Carrier assigns you a /29 routed block yielding a total of 8 IPs (6 usable). They send you a business-class router, such as a Netopia 3346/7. You set up your PPPoE connection, and the provisioning systems on the carrier side know what to do with your account when a session is initiated.

**After your session is established, the outside IP on the router should NOT - I repeat, NOT - be a part of your routed block. If it is, call your ISP! Your account is not correctly provisioned** The outside IP will change - that's okay - that IP is an inconsequential, arbitrary address inside a non-terminal block that the ISP uses for intermediate routes.

You pick a usable IP out of the routed block to assign to the *inside* interface of your router. Some carriers require you to use a specific address from your assigned block, so be sure to ask - most do not, though. You then have 5 more IPs to assign to your access equipment as you see fit. As such, you can assign one of the remaining IPs to a VPN concentrator, a firewall, an outbound proxy, etc.