Hugo Palma

Step by step guide for setting up two routers, please ?

Hi all, i have two routers, a BEFSR41 (the main router) that is connected to the internet and a wireless WRT54GC that i want to put place downstairs for wireless access to the internet. I have a cable from the BEFSR41 connected to the internet port on the WRT54GC. I tried some online guides i found but i still can't get it work. I just can't access the internet from the wireless router. Either using the wireless interface or cable. I'd really appreciate if someone could provide a step by step guide for this. Thanks in advance.
toomanydonuts

Re: Step by step guide for setting up two routers, please ?

[ Edited ]
I assume that you want all computers to be on the same network, and to share printers, and possibly files. Is that correct?

If so, then you need to convert your wireless router to a WAP (wireless access point). To do this, disconnect your wireless router from everything except one computer that is wired to it, then do the following in the wireless router:

1) Set the "Local IP address" to 192.168.1.2 (assuming you are not using this fixed LAN IP address elsewhere in your system, and assuming your wired router is using address 192.168.1.1 ).

2) Set the "DHCP server" to "disabled".

3) Save your settings.

Power down entire network - computers, printers, router, modem, etc.

Then wire any LAN port on the wired router, to any LAN port on the wireless router. Do not connect anything to the Internet port on the wireless router.

Your wired router will control most of your router settings (DHCP server, firewall, port forwarding, etc.). Your wireless router will only control your wireless settings.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 01-20-2008 05:22 PM
Hugo Palma

That's correct.

What about the gateway/router setting on the wireless router ? Should i leave it as gateway or should i change it to router ?

I'll try ur suggestion tonight as soon as i get home.
Thanks
toomanydonuts

Regarding the "Gateway - Router" setting  ---

I assume you are talking about the setting on the "Setup" tab, "Advanced routing" subtab.

I think you can just leave that set to "gateway".  I don't think it will matter since you will not be connecting anything to the "Internet" port of the WRT54GC.
Hugo Palma

I just tried it and it worked great.
Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers,

Hugo
Hugo Palma

I just discovered that now i can't get the PS3 that is connected to the wireless router to discover the media that is connected to the wired router. When i connect the media server to the wireless router the PS3 sees it, otherwise it doesn't.

Any chance it's a firewall think ? I tried changing the security settings with no luck.
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
In the WRT54G, make sure "AP isolation" is set to "disabled".

How is the "media" set up?  I assume it is wired to the BEFSR41 with an ethernet cable -- is that correct?   Does it have a static LAN IP address?  If so, what address are you using?  Are you also using the default DHCP server range of 192.168.1.100  thru  192.168.1.149 ?   If not, please state your DHCP server range.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 02-02-2008 12:13 AM
Hugo Palma

I can't find any "AP isolation" setting on the WRT54G console. Can you tell me where it should be ?
But isn't the AP isolation thing a wireless connection setting ? In this case everything is connected to the routers using an ethernet cable, so it shouldn't have anything to do with wireless settings.

The media server doesn't have a static IP. It's getting an IP assigned from the DHCP server on the BEFSR41.
Also, i'm using the default 100~149 IP range.

Thanks...
toomanydonuts

Media servers are usually setup with a fixed LAN IP address, so that they are always at the same IP address.

Are you re-booting between the time to try to access the media server via WRT54GC and BEFSR41 ?   If so, maybe your media server is changing addesses, and maybe that is why PS3 can't access it.
Hugo Palma

Sorry for the delay, was away.

That could be it, but now i can't figure out how to tell the router to always assign the same IP address to the media server. The wireless router console has a "Assign Static DHCP" button but the BEFSR41 doesn't.

Any ideas how i can do that ?