Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
spa
spa

Two computers, one router -- can I set 'priority' to one of the computers on the internet?

[ Edited ]
I have a  WRT54G wireless router with a Motorola cable modem using Comcast cable. All works fine. I use the wireless capability for my laptop. But I have two desktops 'hardwired' in to the router with cables. I do not have a network installed (I have not wanted to have a network because computer #2 (belonging to my stepson) is not 'trustworthy', i.e. viruses, crashes, etc.)

The problem is a family one--  my stepson often downloads huge files (often multiple files) on to his desktop and 'hogs' the internet so that neither my desktop or laptop can use it --- Internet Explorer times out or access is extremely slow. Other than have him stop downloading programs when I want to use the internet, is there a way that I can prioritize computers so if I want to go on to the internet with my desktop or laptop, I can get fast access and his computer is given a 'lower' slower status? The obvious answer is to have him only download at night when we are sleeping, but I thought there might be another way.

Message Edited by spa on 01-01-200704:44 PM

vai_fan

Re: Two computers, one router -- can I set 'priority' to one of the computers on the internet?

Hi…Surely we can set a higher priority for your computers. Enter the router setup page click on Application and Gamming Tab > click sub tab QoS, here you can set priority for your computers by entering MAC address of your computers. You can also set Ethernet port priority, and even application priority.

spa
spa

Re: Two computers, one router -- can I set 'priority' to one of the computers on the internet?

[ Edited ]
I set up router priority, but not the computer MAC #'s as I have not had a chance to go into my stepson's computer to get it. However, I had a conversation with a tech rep at Linksys yesterday (for a different issue) and decided to ask her the same question. At first, she told me that it would not work (router priority/ MAC prioity ) but then she said she wanted to check with her supervisor. She came back and told me that either or both should work -- and based on some preliminary experiences -- I think it does.

Thanks for your help.

Message Edited by spa on 01-05-200707:16 AM