Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
hdfxrs91

Use BEFSR41 as a hub only

I currently have a BEFSR81 hooked up to my cable modem... everything worked great until I had to move my computers, but had to leave the router in its original location.
I ran an ethernet cable to the new location, and I have a spare BEFSR41 laying around, so I decided to use it as a hub.  All computers in my network see each other fine, and all have access to the internet.  The problem I run into is my mail.
I'm using Outlook to access my mail (BrightHouse/Time Warner Road Runner).  I set the MTU to manual and determined that 1472 was the right number, so I have 1500 in the block, but it still doesn't work.  Msg says: The server name you entered can not be found on the network..."
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

ridcully

Re: Use BEFSR41 as a hub only

hi... let me know where the BEFSR41 connected?? is BEFSR81 connected to WAN port of BEFSR41... let me know the entire n/w setup taht you have and how the n/w is configured so that i can tell you troubleshooting steps...
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
It sounds like your BEFSR81 is still connected directly to your modem and is still your primary router - is that correct?

When you said you are using the BEFSR41 as a "hub", I assume you mean a switch.  My guess is that you connected the BEFSR41 up using its Internet port -- if so, this is the root of your problem.

To use the BEFSR41 as a switch, use the following settings:

Turn off the DHCP server.
Set the "Local IP address" to 192.168.1.2  (assuming you are not using this fixed LAN IP address elsewhere on your system, and assuming the BEFSR81 is still set to use the 192.168.1.x   address space.)
Wire any numbered port on the BEFSR81 to any numbered port on the BEFSR41.
Do not use the Internet port on the BEFSR41.

This setup converts the BEFSR41 to a switch, and will give you 3 useful ports where you can connect other network devices.   If you need more ports, replace the BEFSR41 with a switch, such as the Linksys SD208 or SD216.

If you need more than 3 useful ports, the other alternative is to trade the locations of your 41 and 81, and make your BEFSR41 your primary router, and convert the BEFSR81 to a switch - this would give you 7 useful ports.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 07-02-2007 04:11 AM
hdfxrs91

toomanydonuts:
Thanks.  I have the router set up exactly as you described except for the IP range.  On the -81, I have DHCP set up starting at range 192.168.1.100 with up to 50 users.  I then set up the -41 (switch) as 192.168.1.120 and turned off DHCP.
Everything works fine except email.  I figured out the best MTU size was 1472, so I have 1500 in that spot.

toomanydonuts

The 192.168.1.120  is an illegal fixed LAN IP address.  Fixed LAN IP addresses must be outside the DHCP server range, and they cannot end in 0, 1, or 255.

I don't know if this is causing your email problem or not, but you should still fix this problem, otherwise it is likely to cause problems at some time in the future.
hdfxrs91

toomanydonuts:
I can't thank you enough for your answer.  I changed the IP of the -41 to 192.168.1.2 and everyhting, including my email, work perfectly.  You are doing the people who post on this forum are great service.  Keep up the good work.

J
irizaeb5

Problem with Xbox 360 connection

I'm currently using the WRT54G wireless router, which is connected from a cable modem. The wireless router is is connected to four wires through the house. One connects my laptop to the internet the second port connects the Xbox 360, the third port connects to another router which is the BEFSR41 wired router that has connect a hard drive and two laptops. The fourth port does not have nothing in connection. The problem is that when I tried to connect to Xbox live I can't because for some reason is not getting a MTU number. When I perform the test connection through the Xbox it does not pass the MTU test. So I have been looking all over the internet for answers but everything I had try so far does not work. For one moment I thought that it could be the BEFSR41 router that could be just no properly set up. So I disconnect that router and the Xbox works just fine. Could some body help me to see how can I set up both routers so my Xbox works just fine? I know I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what it is.
Okiegurl

Re: Use BEFSR41 as a switch

I have a couple of issues.

I am trying to get into the administrator configuration of the router. I have forgotten the password. I held the reset button in for 30 minutes, that did not work so I held in the reset button and unplug the router. That did not work.

I want to use it as a switch. I can plug the dsl router into the uplink port and my computer into another port and have internet but nothing else that is plugged into the router has connectivity. I would also like to use a hub with the router so I can have access to more than just three things that is on the router.

Plz help me and thanks for your time

miked1975

Re: Problem with Xbox 360 connection

brax

to use a BEFSR41 as a switch, is it ok for the wire from the Router to go into the BEFSR41 @ the uplink port?