lwien123

Wan not working........Uplink does. Why?

Trying to hookup a befsr41v2.    When I first got it a long time ago, I hooked up a cable modem (Charter Cable)  to the WAN port and the computer to one of the other ports and everything worked fine.

I just moved and no longer have Charter Cable, but have SBC DSL instead.   So, I tried hooking up the router using the same configuration as I did before but couldn't get a connection.   So rather than connecting the DSL modem to the WAN port, I connected it to the Uplink port and used port 4 for the computer and everything is working ok.   

My questions are this.    Why can I no longer use the WAN port as I did with my cable modem, and what are the downsides, if any, in just using the Uplink port instead?

lwien123

Re: Wan not working........Uplink does. Why?

[ Edited ]

One thing I gotta add that may offer some clarification as to what's happening.   When I hook my modem to the WAN connection on the router and hook up my computer to one of the other ports, all the lights on that one port light up and when I go into network prefs, I can see that it's trying to establish a connection, but then all the lights will go out on that one port and no connection is established between my computer and the router.   When I go straight to the modem, or hook up the modem to the router using the uplink port, everythings ok.

Tried different ethernet cables, and got the same results.    

Can't figure out what's goin' on here.

Message Edited by lwien123 on 12-02-2009 08:52 PM
binky

This is wrong connection...As you have DSL modem,you need to configure the router as per the ISP settings..Connect the Modem to the router on the WAN port and the computer to the router on the Ethernet port...open the setup page of the router and follow this link.
lwien123

I understand that it is the wrong connection, but it's the only way that I can get it to work.   I've tried connecting the modem to the WAN port, but it fails to make an Ethernet connection so I can't access the setup page at all.
Expert
Expert

If you connect the modem to the uplink port of the router you basically bypass the router. It's almost the same as if you wire the computer directly into the modem.

Connect your computer directly to your modem. Make sure you have internet. Open a command prompt window and enter "ipconfig /all". Post the full output of that command.

Next, wire your computer into a LAN port of the router. Open the web interface. Post the current Internet Connection Settings on the main Setup page.

This information should point us into the right direction.
lwien123

You're assuming I'm using a PC, eh?  :smileywink:

On a Mac.

Expert
Expert

Start the System Profiler. Click on "Network" and select the ethernet adapter. Copy the adapter information in the lower right frame into your next post. That's for "ipconfig /all".

The remainder from my previous post only requires a browser...
deboone

I cant log onto my account online...says wrong password and user name...use the same ones always...not sure it has been a long time since I have logged on...help any suggestions???
Dan Meyer

The uplink port on your router is the same as the other LAN ports on your router, except the connection is set up to be connected to another switch with a standard ethernet cable. For most users, you should not be using this port.

I'm going to bet that your SBC DSL router/modem is supplying an IP address on the 192.168.1.x network. This is the same network as the BEFSR41 supplies out of the box. Since the WAN and LAN networks are the same, the router can't do it's job.

Here is what I suggest you try:

1) Disconnect the ethernet link between the BEFSR41 and DSL router.

2) Connect your computer to a LAN port on your BEFSR41 and power cycle the BEFSR41. After a few moments, restart your computer.

3) Open your browser, and connect to 192.168.1.1 - If the router is at default parameters, the user name and password are 'admin'.

4) In basic setup, change your LAN ip address to 192.168.32.1. Leave the other parameters unchanged. Click save settings.

5) You will probably loose connection to your computer. If it doesn't recover within a minute, restart your computer again.

6) Connect your BEFSR41's WAN port to your DSL router/modem. Test your connection. If it doesn't work, power cycle your DSL router, wait 30 seonds and power cycle your BEFSR41, wait a few seconds and try again. If your connection still doesn't work, please let us know.

Good luck, and let us know your progress!

-- Dan Meyer

-- Dan Meyer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danielrmeyer
jhsbear

I am having a similar issue, though only affecting one of two computers on the router.  I want to try this procedure, but cannot log onto the befsr41 using admin as user and password.  Maybe I once changed it, but to what I don't know.  Any suggetions to move this forward?