Pocketlabelz

Want to add wireless router to wired Linksys RT31P2, These steps OK?

Hello, I have an existing Linksys RT31P2 with 3 lan ports and 2 telephone ports for my Vonage account. I now need a wireless router too and thought to buy another Linksys wireless router to plug into my wired unit. Are these steps correct? 1. Get wireless router (any recommendations?) and first change the IP to 192.168.2.1, disable DHCP server, set security, save settings. Following, change wireless router lan IP to 192.168.1.254 to login to wireless router. 2. Get cable and plug from wired lan port to the wireless lan port 1, not using wan. Sound okay so far? I thought to just replace my older RT31P2 with like a Motorola VT2542 wireless router as Vonage supports that. But my existing wired router works fine (can't seem to ever update firmware at all from 1.30.00 to 1.30.07, latest). In short, I need wireless access now and so I gather any good Linksys wireless router plugged into my wired Linksys would do fine? Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
peanuts

Re: Want to add wireless router to wired Linksys RT31P2, These steps OK?

well you may try linksys WRT54G v6 or WRT54GS v6 routers...you don't need to change the wireless router's LAN IP...cause i believe RT31P2 uses 192.168.15.1 and wireless router works on 192.168.1.1, so no need to change IP address...you need to make LAN to WAN connection, ...edit the wireless settings on the router, this scenario may work...
bob_net_admin

Re: Want to add wireless router to wired Linksys RT31P2, These steps OK?

Also if you have any issues with that, you could always just get a wireless access point instead of a wireless router. I have used both, and they have both worked fine. At home I use a wireless router as an access point, configured as you described, and at work we have a wired router, with a wireless access point (basically a wireless switch), but it looks like that configuration should work.