Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
idobelieveinfairies

Yellow shield with exclamation in the middle - what does it mean

If I click on my router information key at the bottom right on my computer there is a yellow shield with an exclamation in the middle. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to make it go away?

Thank you in advance.

Expert
Expert

Re: Yellow shield with exclamation in the middle - what does it mean

Can you please post a screen shot?
idobelieveinfairies

I don't have a way to do that. Sorry. I can see signal strength bar and just about it is the yellow knights shield with a black exclamation sign in it.

Thank you

Expert
Expert

What system do you have that does not allow you to do screen shots?
tcjack

The yellow shield means that you are connected to your wireless device but that you have limited connectivity because of some other reason.  Sometimes I have seen it when it is needing a password.  Like if you stay at a hotel and use their wireless you have to open IE to get a login screen to put in the password.

Other times my home wireless will do this quite often and I have to wait 2-3 minutes and then it will go away.  I don't know what causes this.  It never happened before I got a Windows 7 computer.  I assume it is waiting for the password and the ISP to all synch.  Sometimes it just won't synch and I try the troubleshooter and get a message that my computer can not connect to a "hidden network" which seems related to the ISP not echoing back the IP address/SSID fast enough.

I'd love to know more about the problems myself.

idobelieveinfairies

[ Edited ]

Sorry it took so long to see this.  The shield is still there. I am running on windows 7. It also says security type unsecure. Any idea what that means?

Thank you

idobelieveinfairies

[ Edited ]

Good to know someone else has this problem. Everytime I call for support Linksys wants to charge me to upgrade my system and then charge me for 6 months of support. I am thinking about gong with  my internet provider and paying for their router.

Thanks all

(Mod Note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

idobelieveinfairies

Just what was it I said so wrong for you to edit my post.

Oh well still need info if anyone has any.

Thanks