Yellow shield with exclamation in the middle - what does it mean

If I click on my router information key at the bottom right on my computer there is a yellow shield with an exclamation in the middle. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to make it go away?

Thank you in advance.

Expert
Expert

Re: Yellow shield with exclamation in the middle - what does it mean

Can you please post a screen shot?

I don't have a way to do that. Sorry. I can see signal strength bar and just about it is the yellow knights shield with a black exclamation sign in it.

Thank you

Expert
Expert

What system do you have that does not allow you to do screen shots?

The yellow shield means that you are connected to your wireless device but that you have limited connectivity because of some other reason.  Sometimes I have seen it when it is needing a password.  Like if you stay at a hotel and use their wireless you have to open IE to get a login screen to put in the password.

Other times my home wireless will do this quite often and I have to wait 2-3 minutes and then it will go away.  I don't know what causes this.  It never happened before I got a Windows 7 computer.  I assume it is waiting for the password and the ISP to all synch.  Sometimes it just won't synch and I try the troubleshooter and get a message that my computer can not connect to a "hidden network" which seems related to the ISP not echoing back the IP address/SSID fast enough.

I'd love to know more about the problems myself.

[ Edited ]

Sorry it took so long to see this.  The shield is still there. I am running on windows 7. It also says security type unsecure. Any idea what that means?

Thank you

[ Edited ]

Good to know someone else has this problem. Everytime I call for support Linksys wants to charge me to upgrade my system and then charge me for 6 months of support. I am thinking about gong with  my internet provider and paying for their router.

Thanks all

(Mod Note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

Just what was it I said so wrong for you to edit my post.

Oh well still need info if anyone has any.

Thanks

Security info is not correct. To fix the problem please follow these steps

To Connect to your Lnksys Router please type 192.168.1.1 in your browser (your "browser" is where you type www.google.com etc)

Leave the user name blank (no text)

Password is admin

This is the default user and pass. If this does not work reset your router to factory default by pressing and holding the reset button on the back of the router with the tip pf a pen or a paper clip and try the above step again

Now you are logged in to your router

Click on "Wireless" then "Wireless Security *Note: Make sure you click on "Wireless Securiy" in the 2nd step and not just "Security" .  "Wireless Security"  is directly below the word Security.

Security Mode: Choose "WPA2 Personal" from the drop down menu 

And for WPA Algorithms, Choose: TKIP + Aes from the drop down menu