Hi all, ive looked hard for this but cant seem to make it work,
i have a linksys hr200 wireless cable modem but ive just moved and the internet connection here is adsl! can i keep my main computer running on the stantard modem and then conect the linksys router to the computer so my laptop can share the connection? if so, how?
Is it a router? I didn't find anything about it on the Linksys web site. If it is a Cable Modem then NO the only thing it does is connect to a cable internet connection. A router will connect behind the Modem to control the internet connection and sharing.
yes sorry, the hr200 is the wireless router (commonly known as the one from tesco's) ;-), i just thought that as it routes a wireless connection, maybe i could plug it into a computer somehow and share the already existing internet connection?
If it a router yes it should work with a Cable or DSL connection. All you have to do is access the routers ui and configure it for what ever service. Now if your PC is connected to a wireless/wired connect by what ever means then you can set up Ineternet Connection Sharing in that PC and use it as a Gateway. By doing that you can connect your router to that PC and share it with other devices. Its not really recomended because you really need to know what you are doing and may not be that stable. Is that what you are trying to do?
1. connect a numbered LAN port of the router with the ethernet port of your computer.
2. configure your router for a LAN IP address 192.168.0.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. (ignore the WAN/internet connection settings). It is a good idea to write down that IP address and subnet mask on a post-it and stick it to the router in case you forget it over time...
AND on the same tab:
3. disable the DHCP server on your router.
4. Now save the settings in the router. You get disconnected from the router and won't be able to get access right now. Don't worry...
5. enable ICS on the computer (internet connection sharing) on the computer using the wizard. You have to select which connection is the internet connection (the wireless) and which is the LAN connection (your ethernet Local Area Connection).
6. Open a command prompt window. Now enter "ipconfig /all". Verify that you have the IP address 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on the Local Area Connection.
7. In the same command prompt window enter "ping 192.168.0.2" which should work. You can reconnect to your router through http://192.168.0.2/
8. Verify that you have an internet connection on the computer.
9. Now connect to http://192.168.0.2/ Go to the Administration tab, subtab "Diagnostics". Use the ping function to ping an address in the internet. E.g. try www.google.com which is 188.8.131.52. The host name won't work. You must use the IP address. Verify that it works. You can also use the traceroute function on the router to the same IP address. It should work, too.
10. Now you can connect your other computers to your router for internet.
* you only have internet in your private LAN as long as the gateway computer is turned on and is connected to the internet connection.