03mustangmom

AE2500 Can't install

I am not computer savvy by any means, but I can follow directions.  I have tried numerous times to install the disk and the adapter, but it always says it cannot locate the adapter.  I know that the ports (I have tried them all) are working properly because they have been in use.  I tried the chat and got no help at all.  Then he suggested I call the 1-800 number.  I don't have time to wait on hold forever, which I did anyway until I finally hung up. 

Any suggestions?

Darlene

peanuts

Re: AE2500 Can't install

Well you can try the following:

# Click on Start --> Run and in the run box type "devmgmt.msc" and click Ok...

# Device manager window will appear and in that check for the Linksys adapter.. Right-click on the name of the Adapter that you want to install and click Update Driver Software…

# A window will appear asking “How do you want to search for the driver software?".. Click “Browse my computer for driver software"..

# Select the option “Search for driver software in this location “then click on Browse..

# Select the driver that you Downloaded and click on next button...

janspruit

I had the same problems getting the AE2500 working on windows 7 sp1, 64 bit. In the windows device manager the adapter showed ok. but no wireless networks were detected. After a lot of attempts I found out that the problems all had to do with the presence of the latest zonealarm free firewall software (V10.1) . Only after a complete uninstall of the zonealarm software the AE2500 installed properly ,and worked properly.  I installed the Zonealarm software again after the installation of the AE2500 and everything kept working ....  For the record : I also had exactely the same problems with the WMP600N PCI card which I never got working.  I traded that one in for the AE2500 , but looking back now I am pretty sure that it has been the same Zonealarm problem.

good luck. Maybe solves your problem too.

bohochic323

I agree.  software securities often block installation of drivers and firmware.  so yeah, I vouch for janspruit's advice.  :smileyhappy:  Also, make sure you're the admin of the laptop. 

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."
LeGeNdArY_50AE

For the LIFE of me -- I've spent ALL DAY trying to get this USB device to work.

Windows XP - SP3 32bit

*Things I've tried:

1) Went to the support page and clicked "Download" on the Driver for XP. 
2) Downloaded it to "My Documents" (There is only one - I made sure I know exactly where it is).
3) Opened it up - It's just a .rar file - containing no .exe to launch itself - a few technical looking files are contained. Nothing I know how to work with - Just a bunch of text.

4) Used the Device Manager to "Update Driver". Can't find it in My Documents (Even though I KNOW it's there) ... 
5) It recommends looking on the Internet for a driver (which is ironic; considering I'm trying to work a wireless router). 
6) I ethernet connect to the modem - which is VERY inconvenient as my modem is in my living room and my HUGE PC is in my office. Whatevz - if I can get the **bleep** thing to work then I can move it back to the office right?

7) No recognized help can be found.
8) Consulted Gods of Google for aid in conquest. EVERY LINK went to CISCO's site where you can download the .rar containing garble. 

Am I misunderstanding the garble? Am I supposed to do something with it? I would REALLY like it if I could just plug the **bleep** thing in and look for my modem... I'm sure it's a driver issue. But I can't install it to save my worthless life.

It's aggravating. please for the love of god help. :smileysad: I've never before had any problems with CISCO - Linksys products and I am a huge fan. 

ScarletJamie

LeGeNdArY_50AE wrote:

For the LIFE of me -- I've spent ALL DAY trying to get this USB device to work.

Windows XP - SP3 32bit

*Things I've tried:

1) Went to the support page and clicked "Download" on the Driver for XP. 
2) Downloaded it to "My Documents" (There is only one - I made sure I know exactly where it is).
3) Opened it up - It's just a .rar file - containing no .exe to launch itself - a few technical looking files are contained. Nothing I know how to work with - Just a bunch of text.

4) Used the Device Manager to "Update Driver". Can't find it in My Documents (Even though I KNOW it's there) ... 
5) It recommends looking on the Internet for a driver (which is ironic; considering I'm trying to work a wireless router). 
6) I ethernet connect to the modem - which is VERY inconvenient as my modem is in my living room and my HUGE PC is in my office. Whatevz - if I can get the **bleep** thing to work then I can move it back to the office right?

7) No recognized help can be found.
8) Consulted Gods of Google for aid in conquest. EVERY LINK went to CISCO's site where you can download the .rar containing garble. 

Am I misunderstanding the garble? Am I supposed to do something with it? I would REALLY like it if I could just plug the **bleep** thing in and look for my modem... I'm sure it's a driver issue. But I can't install it to save my worthless life.

It's aggravating. please for the love of god help. :smileysad: I've never before had any problems with CISCO - Linksys products and I am a huge fan. 

I believed you need to unzip the file name. By default, I know that is a zip file. You can then follow this article as your guide http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=172a744507eb42a4b232edbd5673c478_4873.xml&pid=80&r...