Jake_2.0

Re: AE2500 disconnects

If you have problems access the router's ui try to check on this link:http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=19073. If your still having problems doing it then try to call tech support.

MisterWeather

I too have had the same issue - disconnects on a regular basis - and have tried many of the suggested steps. I've yet to have 100% success. What I did that has dramatically lengthened the period of connectivity is remove the plastic case [from the AE2500], and build a small USB fan to blow air across the unit. The AE2500 gets HOT as several have posted. I also enabled the lower power setting, then (against Cisco's own suggested guidelines) reduced the RTS, modified the beacon interval and fragmentation threshold per a previous message. The AE2500 is far more stable, but still drops out. To me it's a driver and heat issue, but I'm no tech. Too bad this problem has yet to be resolved as the increase in received signal over what the built-in Atheros card is giving is significant.

Oh, I know, removing the case voided the warranty. Oh well, It was all but worthless as is and I like to tinker. 

This is on a Gateway Laptop SA6/M-7305, Windows 7 SP1 32bit.

opheliaimmortal23

So you have tried installing the adapter on another computer but still the same issue? It gets hot as well? That is a good piece of info about lowering the power settings. I can let a friend of mine try that but then again yes, it will void the warranty of the unit but did you try calling tech support for it?

MisterWeather

Same result on other laptops; have not tried a desktop but that might be an interesting test. The overheat problem has been reported over the years in several of the Cisco routers and network cards. Voiding the warranty is the least of my worries, I'm just trying to find a suitable replacement for the native card that came with the Gateway.  I do have one other network adapter, a WUSB-6000n that is also a Cisco but has been stable. I'll see if it too has issues with my laptop; it worked very well on a desktop for over 2 years.

ylime1984

Yes try it on the desktop and let us know then if it works or not.

MisterWeather

Sorry it's taken me a bit longer to respond than I had originally planned, but I wanted to be sure I tested several machines and several configurations. Interestingly, the AE2500 I have disconnects on laptops but NOT desktops. Why? I have no clue. I even purchased an externally powered USB port for use with my laptop. The only device plugged in was the AE2500 and it still dropped the internet / intranet. It had a strong signal (I used Xirrus free signal analysis software) but no actual connectivity.

On the Desktop it ran for days and never hiccuped once. Both are Windows 7 boxes  (the desktop is 64 bit the laptop 32 bit) I guess next I need to try it on a 64 bit laptop, which I'll need to reload the OS  on one.

Jake_2.0

[ Edited ]

This is really interesting because the adapter should work fine when it is connected to any computer. What I could think is perhaps you need to check if the laptop's usb port is 2.0 for the adapter to have sufficient power. Post the results though by the time you have already tried installing this adapter into your windows 7 64-bit OS.

Expert
jlbjlb

Are you sure it's not related to the power saving features of a laptop?   I unchecked the box below.  I didn't really need to though, as my laptop has all power management features disabled.

Ae2500uncheckbox

Expert
jlbjlb

[ Edited ]

@Rintilia

Your problem sounds like it's possibly related to NAT conflict.  Try changing the default local IP address of your linksys to 192.168.7.1

MisterWeather

I have finally succeded in using the AE2500 on a laptop with no problems at all, 100% on line success rate - at least after 1 full week. However, what I have done to achieve this voids the warranty SO I ADVISE NOT TO DO THIS! Knowing the AE2500 ran hot I'd tried a USB fan to blow air across it but that only resulted in 70% up-time. I removed the plastic cover completely, then removed the paper label that was glued across the CPU. So the AE2500 is sitting totally exposed on the side of my Gateway.

The chip is hot to the touch but not as hot as when that label was covering nearly the whole chip. Seems like a minor manufacturing issue that label. Anyway, I'm using it on a Gateway G7, O/S Windows 8 and a D-Link router (The Cisco I've been using was not cutting it any longer) The laptop sits 60 feet from the router - which is in a basement - and the AE2500 doubled my throughput with only a marginal gain in signal strength. So I've finally achieved what I had originally hoped for in the purchase of this product - after voiding the warranty.

I have also employed the other suggestion of turning off all power reduction (running in High Performance mode) which may or may not have helped. Dear Linksys, in my humble opinion the chip getting too hot is the main culprit.

Good Luck.