Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCB 53

AE2500 unable to connect to Network

Hi all,

I am not new to computers, but I am new to wireless networking. I recently moved to a building that does not have wired Internet access. Upon the recommendation I purchased a Linksys AEE 2500 USB wireless adapter. I am unable to install the software which means, of course, I am unable to access any of the settings.

The setup initializes, shows me the wireless network available (it has a locked padlock symbol next to a), and prompts me for the encryption key. It accepts the key and it's at this point the setup stalls. It shows the "attempting to connect to network" screen then, after whatever interval the software is set for before it times out, I get a notification that setup was unable to access the network. The generic Windows drivers access the network just fine although I only get two bars and a fair connection.

I do have Internet connection through the windows drivers but it is slow and watching streaming video from Netflix is next to impossible.

Long story short, I would like to get the software for this adapter installed. It may not make any difference and there's a good chance that I might have to go to a different adapter to which I could connect a signal booster. But I would at least like to try making this with serviceable first.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and ideas. Thanks a lot in advance. -- SCB 53  :smileyhappy:

helm

Re: AE2500 unable to connect to Network

So in that case you can download the latest drivers from the Cisco/Linksys website or from the link – homesupport.cisco.com try to install the adapter manually… Follow the steps for the manual installation…

# Click on Start --> Run and in the run box type "devmgmt.msc" and click Ok...

# Device manager window will appear and in that check for the Linksys adapter.. Right-click on the name of the Adapter that you want to install and click Update Driver Software…

# A window will appear asking “How do you want to search for the driver software?".. Click “Browse my computer for driver software"..

# Select the option “Search for driver software in this location “then click on Browse..

# Select the driver that you Downloaded and click on next button...

After installation steps then check the wireless connectivity..

SCB 53

Hi helm,

Thank you for your reply. I followed your suggestion and downloaded/installed the latest driver for my adapter. I am still unable to install the AE 2500 software to access its settings. It stalls when attempting to access the wireless network. I have tried the following:

• Disconnected from the wireless network via Control Panel => Network Settings.
  • Disconnected from Internet, disabled AV/AS software and Windows Firewall (also attempted with firewall enabled).
  • Repeated with Internet enabled.
  • Attempted installation both from CD and from downloaded standalone setup file.
  • Attempted installation via Right-Click => Run As Administrator.

I can't think of any other permutation to try. Hopefully you will see something that I missed and have some other suggestions. I look forward to your response. -- SCB 53

helm

Please follow the steps mentioned in the link below to setup AE2500.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=93&login=1&vw=1&app=search&articleid=23615&userrole=Links...

As you have mentioned it fails while attempting to access the wireless network, make sure your wireless router is in range or you can try changing the channel on your router/AP if possible.

SCB 53

Still no luck. It would appear that I have enough signal strength to establish an Internet connection through Windows, but not enough signal to install the software. Looks like I have to accept the generic Windows connection until I either get a signal booster for my antenna (which means, of course a different wireless card) or the facility sets up the entire building for WiFi.

If you have any other ideas, I'm certainly willing to try them but I think that for now anyway I'm stuck with what I have. Thanks a lot for your help and insight. -- SCB 53