Metagoth

Re: AE3000 and Windows 8

How would you do that, just clear the CD and put the drivers on it from the website? The reason I bought the AE3000 was because I can't use the internet on my new computer

jaymay

I think what MartinO did is that he used the drivers that can be downloaded from the website (http://support.linksys.com/enus/support/adapters/AE3000) and used it to install the adapter. Since you can’t get online on your new computer, you can download the drivers from a computer that can connect to the internet. Save the file in a flash drive and use the file then to install the drivers on the non-working computer. You  may refer to this link for further instructions installing the adapter manually: Manually installing the Linksys adapter without the Setup CD.

semite

it does not support windows 8, however it sees the operating system as windows xp and requires from me that install windodws xp service pack 3. kind of joke. :smileyhappy:

i would like to say to admin that immediately have driver for windows 8. :smileyfrustrated:

luce.evening.star

Yes, true, there are no drivers that work with Windows 8 as other wireless USB adapters released by Linksys. You can only wait for the windows 8 drivers to be released from their website.

walfisch

[ Edited ]

And Linksys still states the "Minimum System Requirements" as "PC with CD or DVD drive, running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1 or later, Windows 7 or Windows 8" when they don't even have a Windows 8 driver for it...

By the way I tried installing the Windows 7 driver on my Windows 8 computer...it does work but the adapter disconnects from my network every minute or so, then searches for a wireless signal again, establishes link, and disconnects again....cycle repeats

Jake_2.0

[ Edited ]

Hi, based on the kb article for the AE3000 Frequently Asked Questions, the 4th item under hardware information enumerated the compatible operating systems for the AE3000.

4. What are the compatible operating systems for the AE3000?

The compatible operating systems for AE3000 are the following:

• Windows XP SP 3

• Windows Vista SP 1 or later

• Windows 7

Let’s just hope that there will be an update of the drivers for windows 8 so that that type of concern will be resolved.

walfisch

Hi Jake_2.0,

The product page (http://www.linksys.com/en-apac/products/adapters/AE3000) lists Windows 8 as a OS under specifications.

If you ask me, most consumers would look at that page instead of going straight to the KB article since they do not even have the product yet...that is until they buy it, bring it home and realise it is not working...like me

MartinO

[ Edited ]

walfisch, did you try installing the driver from the Linksys support website? It improved the situation for me, but it did not fix it as I've been coming to realize since my last post. Now, sort of randomly, upon computer startup the connectivity icon would show internet access and my network name, while there is no actual internet connection (no program connects to the internet). On other occasions, the icon would say no internet connection right away. Once there is a valid internet connection, though, it is stable.
So, looks like plenty of users all over the internet keep having issues, but Linksys does not appear to care. Requests posted on their facebook they just keep routing into this forum, apparently in hopes the user community will figure it out somehow.

walfisch

Hi MartinO,

As I posted earlier, I tried installing the Windows 7 driver on my Windows 8 computer...it does work but the adapter disconnects from my network every minute or so, then searches for a wireless signal again, establishes link, and disconnects again....cycle repeats

luce.evening.star

[ Edited ]

This is what I got though from this link: http://store.linksys.com/Adapters/Linksys-AE3000-Wirelessn-usb-adapter_stcVVproductId147893049VVcatI....

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

PC: PC with CD or DVD drive, running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1 or later, or Windows 7 Available USB 2.0 port

Since the drivers used are not intended for the OS version that is why you are having trouble getting the proper wireless connection.