Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Pasnthru

Adapter strong WIFI signal, intermittent

We have a WUSB54G adapter and we get a very strong signal from the local WIFI network, but we keep loosing it and of course no one else has this problem. Ideas? This is a new network for us and we are running XP home on a dell desktop.
Corleone

Re: Adapter strong WIFI signal, intermittent

are you using both the linksys WLAN utility and the windows wireless service to connect to the wireless network at the same time ?? if yes, uninstall the linksys WLAN utility and install only the drivers for the adapter. Use windows wireless services to connect to the wireless network.
let me know how the things work for you.
Pasnthru

I was using the windows util inititally, but I've tried so many things that I could have both. I'll check. It worked better last night, but still real slow and it kept poping up saying it was connected with a strong signal.

Thanks for your reply.
Pasnthru

Uninstalling the Linksys utility deleted all the drivers. Oops. So I'll be starting over tonight.
Pasnthru

I think it finally came to me in the middle of the night. I realized that my unused wired network adapter hadn't been disabled, so first thing this morning I disabled it and bingo, no more dropped pings. I ran a ping to an IP with the -t on the end for 10 minutes and it showed none dropped. Usually it would drop 5-20%, on a good day! We even had trouble downloading email, it was that bad. The surprising thing to me is that with all the research I did on this problem I never saw this fix mentioned once! I've been beating on this problem since the 1st of Dec. That's two and half months!!! Yesterday I saw an owl sitting on the transmitting antenae and wondered if it was a bird problem. Talk about desparate. Hopefully this will help some others.
don101

I first had this same problem over a year ago.  Never did get a solution so went back to using a cable.

Based on your message, I disabled my wired adapter, rebooted and opened the monitor.  Everything looked OK.  I started a ping -t and everything continued to work OK.  About 15 minutes in the internet connection dropped but the ping continued OK without missing a beat.  In a minute or so the internet came back and again everything continued working OK.  Now 35 minutes in and no furhter indications of the problem.  I have not kept the eyeballs glued to the monitor, but there are NO timeouts in the ping run yet.

Is there a technical reason why having an active but unplugged wired adapter would interfere with a wireless adapter?  Our two laptops have both, both are active but only the wireless is used and they do not have this problem.  Maybe because neither of the adapters are Linksys?

45 minutes in, the internet has dropped again for 2 minutes but again the pings continued with out missing a beat.  Whoa.  Just got a single time out.

We have a neighbor with an unsecured wireless network.  It is a very weak signal, always less than 50% and usually much lower.  Could that have a bearing on the problem?

Don

don101

It appears this problem is caused by the Linksys software. To fix the problem, Linksys tech support recommends using Windows WZC instead of their own product and say that it is better but will not say why they recommend it or how it is better.

According to tech support, this will fix the problem:

download the latest drivers from the website.
uninstall everything for the adapter including the drivers. 
reboot
install ONLY the driver.
Use WZC to configure.

This not an acceptable answer for those that trust Linksys more than they trust Microsoft, but apparently it is the only answer short of reverting to using a cable.

Don
Pasnthru

I spoke too soon. When I got home last night the internet connection was pretty much back to it's old flakey self, so I'm back into the baffled barn! I'll try your info from Linksys. Thanks for posting. Dave
don101

Hi Dave,
I think their solution is unacceptable.  They should fix their software or stop distributing it.  I have not tried the WZC yet because everything seems to be working OK since I disabled the wired adapter.  During my chat with tech support I noticed the monitor was not loaded.  When I went to the start menu to launch it, it would not launch.  I'm hesitant to do anything about it since everything else is working ok.  Maybe its failure to launch is why everything else is working OK.

Let me know how your use of WZC turns outs.

Don

Pasnthru

[ Edited ]
I can't even find the win zero connection on my XP home PC. I've done a search and there no zero anything as near as I can tell on the whole PC. Still no joy at home. It's all very strange. Things are working a little better, but it's still very sporatic. Mornings seem best. We seem to be in some kind of "disfunctional machine warp". We have a Roomba robot "vacumn" and it's the second one we've had go bad on us in less than 2 years (needless to say the floor is getting dirty). Seems like about half of the mechanical devices we own are broken or in some state of disrepair. And I'm a nut for keeping things in good working order. It's making me a little crazy! Dave

Message Edited by Pasnthru on 02-15-2008 02:23 PM