Highlighted
SLL

Can I buy new and better antennas for my WMP600N?

[ Edited ]

Hey,

I've just got a WRT320N + WMP600N. The problem is, that my router is placed in the basement of our

house, and that the computer with the wireless adapter is placed on the 1st floor. So there is a solid

concrete deck and  one or two walls the single is going through, which results in signal "low", "very low" on the

adapters client software gauge. It's a 6mbit/384kbit internet connection, and I'm able to hold a steady connection

with wireless-N, 2.4ghz (all set to auto, WPA2 encryption). if I ping the router of a webside, I'm able to get steady

responses of about <1ms to 3ms, with no dropouts. But the download speed is limited to about 1 to 4mbit, probably

because of the low signal strength.

What I would like to ask is, if I can buy any amplified 2 x antennas for the adapter? Or should it be a special antenna?

Can you suggest some antennes for me, is possible?

I've bought a better antenna before for another PC system (wireless-B adapter) with success.

SLL

Re: Can I buy new and better antennas for my WMP600N?

As far as i think you dont need the Antenns for your Wireless Adapter... As your Adapters are already an High Gain Antenna... If you connect a Different adapter to your adapter also it will not make much difference...

In this case i would sugget you to change some settings on your Router and check if this settings solves your problem or not.. 

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab

- Here select manual configuration...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
- Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...

- Set the Radio Band to Standard-20MHz and change the Standard channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...

For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...

Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select TKIP...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone and remember the key.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings

Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 >>Click on "Save Settings"...

Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

SLL

Thanks Binky,

But it's not that I can't connect to the router, I can. The signal is just "low" or sometimes "very low". The connection is alright stable.  But because of the "low" signal, I'm not getting more than 1-2mbit on a 6mbit connection. So that's way I asked about the antenna stuff, to improve the signal strength.

Another problem is, that the PC the card is mounted in, is a Pentium2, 400mhz computer hehe.. so its slow as a turtel. I'm not sure, if the slow computer will influence the performance of the netcard? The good news is, that I'am going to build a new Core2duo computer for my father... as the P2 is impossible to work with Smiley Very Happy

But I've done some of the things you said.

Still using WPA2 (will the less save WPA have any impact on signal strenght, speed?)

Changed channel to 1, instead of auto (used a sniffer program, to spot ofter wireless nets channels in the ares, and choosed anothet

channel that was unused.

Also changed band to 20mhz permanent. Before it was set on "auto" between 20/40mhz.

I'm not sure about the advanced settings, and what they will give. But I have touched them yet. I'll probably write down the default settings,

and try yours out, to see if there is any difference. Can you tell anything about, what the advanced settings will help on?

My SSID is disabled for security reason. But I'm not sure if its really are helping much?

All the best,

SLL

SLL

Thanks again Binky, but I was not really interested in going from WPA2 to WPA. And I've checked, that channel 1 isn't visibely used by other computer wireless cards close to me.

So to sum up, I'm still interested in knowing, is its possible to buy - dual band wireless-N antennas for the WMP600N card? Other antennes typically have more gain build on, plus I've seen them longer. But I'm unsure if its possible to exchange the originals?

Also, I've changed antennes before on another wireless-B netcard with big success. Went from impossible to connect to the router, to full signal just by changing one antenna. And I don't really wanna fiddle with 3. part firmware which probably will kill the warranty + I'm not crazy about placing the router closer to the netcard.

Please tell me, if two better antennes  can be bought for the netcard?

SLL

I am looking for better antenna solution to improve the signal reception as well, so far I found the Cisco-Linksys AS2TNC Antenna Stand as a possible option to move the antennas for better reception and thought to try the  TREDnet TEW-AI770B possibly scewing in the antennas off the card if the they don't help.

[ Edited ]

Whoops I made a mistake.... it is SMA type not TNC type connector...Google SMA antenna stands, most of these stands state network specification 2.4GHz but the cable and connectors they are using are good to 6GHz.

&

D-Link 7dBi Dualband 2.4/5GHz Wireless PCI Adapter/Router SMA Antenna
Extended coverage Dualband 2.4GHz/5GHz any SMA device

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem with the computer on the floor with a partial cement wall...so far moving the computer up a foot made a big diference....the best solution is to get the antenna up with a cable.  Here is a website that gives the spec's on the cables http://fairviewmicrowave.com/microwave_rf_cables.htm.  I am thinking about adding a 1/2 ft  to a 1 ft or so semi-rigid so I dont have to worry about a stand.  Keep in mind the loss with the length othe of cable.  You will need a rp-sma-f to rp-sma-m cable.  rp/r stands for reverse polarity  so the pin (male)  is in the male (m) http://wireless.gumph.org/content/3/7/011-rp-sma-female.jpg connector instead of the female (f) http://wireless.gumph.org/content/3/7/011-rp-sma-male.jpg  and visa versa. Just make sure you do your home work on the cable frequency and remember that some of the pre-made WiFi cables should work but you need to check the cable type.

[ Edited ]

Maybe good for an short extension but finding a pair only I am still looking...http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/307301357-RP-SMA-female-to-RP-SMA-male-Pigtail-cable-RG316-whol...

Cable specification link again:   http://fairviewmicrowave.com/microwave_rf_cables.htm

Regarding the post about the pig tail that uses RG316  no good...LMR400 is the way to go.  Looking a Hawking

Technology antenna extensions