Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dracosblackwing

Cannot install Cisco Connect. Help?

I bought a AE2500 adapter recently and attempted to install the Cisco Connect software. It gets to the point of connecting the device to the wireless, then crashes. I noticed that as I plugged the device in, it was recognised and activated without running the software at all; at the time of the software trying to connect the device, it's already connected.

Just in case it was a matter of an old version of the driver and Cisco Connect software, I went online to the website and downloaded both the most recent driver and the latest version of Cisco Connect. The Cisco Connect crashed just like the version on the CD, and the driver said it was already the latest version and wouldn't install.

So I tried the direct chat option. I spoke to two people. One of them lead me to give them a lot of information, then began asking me about my router... and promptly forgot about the adapter. They even had me on the path to resetting and installing software for the router I'm connected to, which isn't mine. Then the chat session crashed.

The *next* person I spoke to ran me through the same thing, even with my explaining what had happened before. They ended with giving me instructions for installing... the router again. I was pretty much done with them by that point, and so I've come here.

If anyone knows why the Cisco Connect program keeps repeatedly crashing, and how I can stop it from doing so, it would be greatly appreciated. As it stands, I think the adapter is overloading the memory on my computer and causing blue screens; I've been getting them ever since I connected the adapter. Please, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

One more thing. I think it might have something to do with my computer automatically detecting and activating the device when it's plugged in, but I'm not sure.

peanuts

Re: Cannot install Cisco Connect. Help?

Could you please let us know what operating system are we running on the computer.. and is it 32 bits or 64 bits ?

dracosblackwing

I'm running Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3. It's 32 bit.

forsaken

Possibly, there seems to be a conflict between Windows (WZC) wirless zero configuration utility and Cisco connect program which is causing this issue.

Try this:

Disable the wireless zero configuration service.

#  Click on start.....Go to run.....Type services.msc......Enter......You will get services local window.....Look for wireless zero configuration.....Right click on it stop the service.

or

If you want to disable the Cisco connect program....Then go start....go to control panel....go to add or remove program.....and uninstall cisco connect...

dracosblackwing

[ Edited ]

I tried your suggestion to disable the wireless zero utility and ran the program again. It detected the adapter, searched for wireless signal, asked for the password... then crashed like it's been doing this entire time.

The adapter DID connect to the internet; the program itself just didn't finish. It said the program had an error, and had to shut down. This happens both with the program on the packaged CD, and the one from the website.

Do you have any other ideas as to why this program refuses to finish installing?

I even tried disabling the wireless zero utility completely, but then Cisco Connect couldn't even find the adapter...

kawal

you may need to uninstall and reinstall the adapter. leave the wireless zero disabled, then uninstall the Linksys configuration utility. restart the computer without the adapter plugged in. run the CD and just follow the setup for the installation.