Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kai Zheng
Accepted Solution

Connection issues with WUSB300N and E4200

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. i purchased an E4200 router to replace my old WRT150N. I had a WUSB300N that connected fine to the old router, but it's not connecting to the E4200. I have a guest network set up on it, and the adapter can connect to that, so I'm at a loss as for why it won't connect. Does anyone think it has something to do with the type of security I have set up? I had it on WPA2 on my WRT150N, and the E4200 on WPA2/WPA mixed mode.

The adapter is on a desktop running Win XP.

Thanks!

Corleone

Re: Connection issues with WUSB300N and E4200

Before suggesting you any troubleshooting steps, I would like to ask few questions. Like while connecting to a wireless network does it show up any error message? Check the wireless settings as well on the router.

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] Then go to the Wireless tab, keep network mode as mixed,

For Channel Settings of 2.4 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, 11..

For Channel Settings of 5 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 40 or 161...

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the username field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

Kai Zheng

Re: Connection issues with WUSB300N and E4200

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your response Corleone. What was happening was that when trying to connect through the XP wirless utility, it would stay at "waiting for network.." and then time out. I haven't tried your solution, but I will try it out.

I looked at my router settings for the both the 5.0 & 2.4 GHz it was set to WPA2/WPA mixed mode and switched the 2.4 GHz setting to just WPA2 and it connected. I'm not sure why that would keep it from connecting, but anyone in the same situation should try switching their 2.4 GHz setting to WPA2 personal and see if that works for them.