naomi1230

How can i speed up Wireless internet?

Have installed my wireless card and everything works.. But i have "Low Signal Strength" How could i improve this, or what might be the problem.? Its only going upstairs in my house from the router which is downstairs. So its not that far, but i dont know how to improve it. Can anyone give me some tips.? Thanks..
toomanydonuts

Re: How can i speed up Wireless internet?

First of all, give your network a unique SSID. Do not use "linksys". If you are using "linksys" you may be trying to connect to your neighbor's router. Also set "SSID Broadcast" to "enabled". This will help your computer find and lock on to your router's signal.

Poor wireless connections are often caused by radio interference from other 2.4 GHz devices. This includes wireless phones, wireless baby monitors, microwave ovens, wireless mice and keyboards, wireless speakers, and your neighbor's wireless network. In rare cases, Bluetooth devices can interfere. Even some 5+ GHz phones also use the 2.4 Ghz band. Unplug these devices, and see if that corrects your problem.

In your router, try a different channel. There are 11 channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Usually channel 1, 6, or 11 works best. Check out your neighbors, and see what channel they are using. Because the channels overlap one another, try to stay at least +5 or -5 channels from your strongest neighbors. For example, if you have a strong neighbor on channel 9, try any channel 1 through 4.

Also, try to locate the router about 4 to 6 feet above the floor, in an open area. Do not locate it behind your monitor or near other computer equipment or speakers. The antenna should be vertical.

Hope this helps.

Re: How can I speed up Wireless internet?

I installed my wireless, it works but is very slow. I get the message that it needs a high speed port. I only have 2 USB ports and they are both full,

kawal

Re: How can I speed up Wireless internet?

it means that there are two kinds of USB ports on your computer - a USB 1.1 and a USB 2.0.  try to figure out which one is the USB 2.0. that's the highspeed port and that's where you have to connect your USB device.

picohat

Re: How can i speed up Wireless internet?

Maybe you can move the router to upstairs and see how it goes, this is how I did at home.

You can also check out other factors here which could affect wireless network performance, and try to get rid of them. 

Hope this helps.