Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
juliediane
Accepted Solution

I can't uninstall my software!!

My software isn't working right anymore for some reason and I can no longer use my wireless adaptor.  I've tried uninstalling the software but it won't let me do this.  It gets 2 bars into the uninstall and then freezes.  Reinstallation doesn't work either.  It says the program is already installed and won't overwrite it.  I've tried everything including a manual deletion of the files, but nothing works.  I tried contacting Linksys but their computer system is having problems and they say they can't help me right now.  Does anyone know how to get this program off my computer????
Corleone

Re: I can't uninstall my software!!

Which program are you trying to uninstall and for which product ?
juliediane

It's the software for the Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster, Version 1.07.  Geez, I hope you can help me!  I'm hating this cable cable that I'm having to use now which I have to step over to get in and out of my office.   

-colby-

i had this problem to. manual uninstall.

http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howto_manually_uninstall.htm 

juliediane

You are a genius!  I completely forgot about the option of renaming the files!  I HAD already tried to manually uninstall the program but it was so write-protected that I couldn't.  Even tried to remove the write protection but it wouldn't let me do that either.  Anyway, it would only let me rename one of all the files BUT it was enough to finally allow me to perform an uninstall through the add/remove program.  I guess that was the file that was keeping me from performing the uninstall.  Anyway,  I reinstalled the program (nothing like putting your hand on the hot burner again) and it's all working now!  I got rid of that horrible cable and I'm wireless again!  Thanks so much!! :smileyvery-happy:
Robin.T.Miller

Just curious, what files did you rename?

This is frustrating, and shows QA isn't doing their job!

Thanks,

Robin

Robin.T.Miller

Ok, discovered the uninstall issue and the recovery...

The culprit keeping the uninstall from completing, was an executable named BCMWLTRY.EXE, which was not only running, but was consuming tons of memory, to the point of depleting my paged memory, and requiring a reboot!

After killing this process, memory was restored and uninstall worked properly.

Furthermore, thanks to someone else's posting, just installing the driver allows my adapter to work (so far). As mentioned, exit the installation GUI when asked, then install the driver when prompted by the Windows installer.

FWIW: I couldn't find the offending process easily in Task Manager, but instead installed the Windows support tools, ran a tool named pmon.exe, which quickly showed BCMWLTRY.EXE had millions of page faults.

jjazzbel

The link to the solution is no longer working.  Can anyone help.  We are dead in the water until we can uninstall.

Thank you