creese10

“IP address has disappeared…” every 20 minutes and my lease expires daily!

I have a problem that I hope is easy to fix even though that is never the case. I have been using a Linksys WRT54GX Wireless-G notebook adapter w/srx ver 2 that I set up (a nightmare) over a year ago. I have not made any real changes lately (photo software). Also I haven’t used my desktop since I set this up so it is not up-to-date with security software so I am avoiding turning it on. Also I do not share printers, files, etc.

Thanks to Norton 360’s Security History this is what is happening in less than one minute:

"IP address has disappeared from adapter Wireless-G Notebook adapter with SRX #2 – Packet Scheduler Miniport and is no longer being protected (IP address 192.xxx.x.100)”

“Connected to a protected network (0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0)”

“Connected to a shared network (192.xxx.x.0/255.xxx.xxx.0)”

“Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter Wireless-G notebook adapter with SRX#2 – Packet scheduler Miniport (IP address 168.xxx.x.xxx)”

“Connected to a shared network (00.##.C#.#C.#C.CC)”

This repeats itself about every 20 minutes. I just noticed little things this week which made me look at Norton’s history report yesterday.

I ran ipconfig/all and got this:

DnsSuffix:

Node Type: Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled: No

WINS Proxy Enabled: No

DNS Suffix Search List: domain.invalid

Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: domain.invalid

Description: Wireless-G Notebook Adapter w/SRX#2

Physical Address: 00.##.C#.#C.#C.CC

Dhcp Enabled: yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled: yes

IP Adrress: 192.xxx.x.xxx

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.xxx.x.x

DHCP Server: 192.xxx.x.x

DNS Servers: 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

192.xxx.xxx.xxx

Lease Obtained: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:30:10 PM

Lease Expired: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:30:10 PM

My router is the Wireless-G Broadband Router w/srx WRT54GX. The router does show internet connection but not on any of the ports (desktop).The problems I see are my lease expires daily and my domain is invalid. I did a ping and that was fine. And of course, I keep losing my internet connection every 20 minutes. I can’t stand it anymore. Please help. Also I am afraid to turn my desktop on and lose connection completely

Thanks,

Cheryl

Sorry so long...

yleclerc

Re: “IP address has disappeared…” every 20 minutes and my lease expires daily!

When I was using Norton 360 v2, I needed to test 360 to trust the LAN Gateway IP address AND the wireless SSID name.  If one was not to be "trusted", 360 was forcing the wireless adapter to "deauthenticate" from the router.
creese10

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for replying. I have not had this problem for more than a week or so. When this started, I did go on the LAN Gateway IP address without any trust problem coming up.

I have been using Norton 360 ver 3 for about 6 months. From what I have heard, they have worked out a lot of problems. So far I think I like it. I had always been a die hard user of System Works Premier and Norton Internet Security (over-kill but better than under-protected) and I did keep the Norton GoBack installed-way better than Norton Save & Restore and Windows Restore. 

Anyway, how do I test 360 for this? I am not as familiar with 360. Please give details. 

Thanks again,

Cheryl 

There is a bad thunderstorm coming through NE Ohio right now, so I may not be here much longer. 
Message Edited by creese10 on 08-20-2009 03:20 PM
castor

Try to upgrade your router's firmware and then reconfigure it :

Go to website linksysbycisco.com/downloads.........insert model no of your router in serach tab......select proper version of your router........download the firmware file......save that file on desktop

Follow these steps to upgrade the firmware on the device : -

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on a computer hard wired to the router...

In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1...Leave the Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

Click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' and browse the .bin firmware file and click on "Upgrade"...

Wait for few seconds until it shows that "Upgrade is successful"  After the firmware upgrade, click on "Reboot" and you will be returned back to the same page OR it will say "Page cannot be displayed".

Now reset your router :

Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

creese10

Thanks so much for your response and sorry for the long delay. I dread re-configuring the router. I don't know about everyone else, but there are way too many screens on the 192.168.1.1 set-up screen for the average user. It is an intimidating process and I have been working  with computers since the keypunch card programming age.

Is there anything else I can try first? My desktop has no protection since I have not used it and I need to uninstall expired security software and install Norton 360 and all updates to it and Windows, IE, etc. very time consuming and I will be wide open if I have to re-configure first.

Is there an easy way to keep track of which screens and tabs require changes? If most users are like me, they access the set-up only when there is a problem. Printing each screen is not practical (I have done it before and lost track of which ones are the right ones). 

Thanks

Cheryl