Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
chronzo

Linksys Wireless - G 2.4 GHz USB Network Adapter

I just bought this Linksys Wireless - G 2.4 GHz USB Network Adapter for my computer.  I am running microsft 98.  I have the new drivers set up for it.  My signal is 100% and the adapter is active but it says "Cannot associate with the access point".  Any help would be great.
gandalf

Re: Linksys Wireless - G 2.4 GHz USB Network Adapter

Hi… I think you pc is not getting an IP address from your Access point. Make sure you provide the Correct Network key while you connecting to your network. Also make your wireless security mode on the AP is WEP and not WPA, windows 98 does not supports WPA. Try assigning static IP address and DNS on your PC. You should be able to go online.

dshehane

I am having same issue with same adapter (wusb11 ver 2.6) with winxp. Problem is solved by using WinXP"Repair" function each time you reboot. Just got off phone with linksys tech support with no solution other than the usual "uninstall" and "reinstall" or try different usb port. So here I am on the forum looking for the same answer. Not sure how to "repair" with Win98sp - try ipconfig in dos window?
k6ncx

Win 98SE, or just plain 98?

It won't work with just plain 98. Yes, I know it says "any" laptop on the front of the box but the side of he box says different.
chronzo

I actually figured it out.  I just needed to update my driver.  It found the access point but can't find the Internet but the internet still works
Jayburn

Gnadalf, you seem to be well versed and I can use help, but your message is Greek to me. As I went through installation, I used defaults (i.e. Linksys, Ch 6, etc.) My Wireless-B Notebook Adapter, model #WPC11-VN although properly installed, just will not give me an access point.

My router is a Westell Versa Link, and serves my desktop DSL Verizon with an AOL interface. Both the laptop and the desktop share a small 10x 10 office. The laptop's operating system is ME, due to ram barrier (256) All it is used for is word processing and internet while travelling.

Can you give me a clue as to where to go beyond the dreaded note from Explorer that it can't connect, check your browser settings, etc. I can't check them because I don't have a clue re: ISP #'s etc.

Anyone else feelfree to jump in. I am trying to avoid spending $1200 on a new laptop right now. 
benfelix

I am not the only one with this "can not associate with access point" problem I see.
My new notebook came with wifi and Dell Draft card etc.So it found my Always on Wi Flyer (dialup) right away on its own.  So, I thought this is great and called Dell and they told me just to get this USB adapter for my desktop. 

I installed it as directed and have used about ten hours of support to no avail.  One time it even showed my wiflyer with all the information in the link but WILL not connect.  Of course customer support alway states reinstall reinstall reinstall.  I am at the point now to pay some company a hundred bucks to install a $50 product.  I have XP home on my 2 year old Dell desk top and am using the CD Rom furnished.  Maybe I need updated drivers???  This is going on now for a month with no luck installing.  Good I have notebook which connects fine.  Help.
Jayburn

Exactly, I know that a tech would conquer this in the 20 minutes it takes to install the **bleep** software , reboot, and plug in the card. My laptop isn't worth more than $100 on the market, but will cost me mucho to replace - and we only use it when we are on the road to do word processing and email. (retirees) Aaaaackkk !

Jayburn
benfelix

Since posting my orginal message I have uninstalled the adaper for like the 25th time.  When I reinstalled as the software wizard prompted.  I even waited to plug in the USB when told.  No help.  My SSDI is entered manually but does show.  It is just that when I hit connect it refuses.  I right clicked and took out a check mark use DLA and that actually made my SSDI appear but still no connection, only the stupid remark about cannot associate with access point;blah blah blah.

I have had it now.  I am going to call someone next week to install this.  I understand you have to have a wireless network in order to create a home network, if I want to access the desktop and printers when on my notebook.  I do
love my new notebook and the wireless connection on it and my Alway on Wiflyer is outstanding.  I live in such a big town that no broadband is here except the $55 a month cable.  So my MsN dial up works great and I now can dial it without a phone cable etc at least on my notebook.  I will call someone next week.
Jayburn

I have solved my problem. If you have a Verizon provided Westall VersaLink Model 327 W Router, this is what you have to do. Mind you, it took me one hour with a Verizon tech (the overseas type) then an hour and a half with a Dell tech, also difficult to understand (this is a brand new Dell Inspiron laptop with a dell wireless mini card built in) then sent back to Verizon again.

This time to a native English tech, who knew exactly what it was. The new Dell minicards are compatible with all routers EXCEPT for some models of the WestAll Versalink and mine was one of them. I had to download a patch driver to enable the wireless link to achieve an access point. That was it ! Days of frustration, and almost three hours on the phone and it was solved in several minutes. The question here would have to be why the hell the first two techs, on hearing my model number and brand of Router did not have the answer and put me through those hours of dog and pony work. (the Dell tech to his credit, did come up with the answer but only after an hour and a half on  the phone, and taking control of my computer)  Come to think of it, maybe other manufacturers need updates for their router software too. Anyway, I am finally online wirelessly. But shoud anybody have to go through that?