randynet

Linksys adapters with Promiscuous mode - Monitor mode support

Hi! I have an IBM Thinkpad T42 which has a mini PCI wireless adapter a/b/g that I cannot use since it doesn't work with Wireshark. I'm doing a lot of work with Wireshark lately so I'm considering to replace my wireless adapter for one that DOES support promiscuous mode (monitor mode) which my current adapter doesn't do.

So, which Linksys wireless adapters (mini PCI and/or USB) do you guys recommend me to acquire? Thanks! -Randy

peanuts

Re: Linksys adapters with Promiscuous mode - Monitor mode support

Click Here and check this website and check if this helps you or not.

randynet

Nope :smileysad:  I need to buy a Linksys wireless adapter that supports promiscuos mode (aka monitor mode). I was thinking of asking sales originally, but I realized they wouldn't know about this technical feature.

Another option (my first one) was to get a driver for my wireless adapter that does support promiscuous mode, but I cannot find any settings or drivers that does this (WinXP, Atheros AR5211 driver).

oook

Follow this link and see if you can find a wireless adapter that supports Promiscuous mode .

randynet

Thanks Mr. Oook. I followed the link, read the article and was pleased to learn the Linksys WUSB54GC was the adapter I needed. I bought it right-away, but for my surprise it didn't work. Do you know if I have to change any setting to make it work on monitor (promiscuous) mode? I checked the support's drivers/download section to see if there was a specific driver for this mode, but didn't find any.:smileysad:

reedb

[ Edited ]