Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
strick9

Linux Wireless-g USB adapter?

strick9

Re: Linux Wireless-g USB adapter?

Ooops! I hit "Enter" accidentally. I need a wireless-g USB adapter that will work out of the box with Linux. Is there a Linksys adapter that will do the job? Thank you.
dibbler

There is no Linksys Adapter that works with Linux Operating System ....
strick9

Why isn't one avaiable? Is there a technical problem or is it just too small a market to fool with? Thanks!
dustin32

It is definitely possible. Using Slax 5.x.x, I was able to use my Linksys WUSB54G (v4). It was not entirely out of the box, but here are the steps I used to get things running: 1. Put the rt2500.usb.inf file and the .sys file into a folder. 2. In Linux, cd into this folder. (cd /mnt/hda1/wireless) 3. Type "ndiswrapper -i rt2500.usb.inf". 4. "modprobe ndiswrapper" 5. "ifconfig wlan0 up" 6. "iwconfig" 7. "iwconfig wlan0 essid Wielenga" (replace Wielenga with the name of your network). 8. "dhcpcd -t 10 wlan0" I think some people have gotten the card to work in Ubuntu, but I have not yet had success with that. I suspect the reason it's generally a pain is because Linksys uses drivers/chipsets/firmware that are made for Windows. If Linux had a bigger market, then they'd be forced to pay attention...