Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bo2
Bo2

New USB Wireless Adapter (AE2500) will not auto-connect to network

OS is XP SP3.  Security software is Panda, Windows firewall disabled. 

I recently replaced an older Linksys WUSB54G USB wireless adapter with a new adapter.  The old adapter worked fine for a few years but recently would indicate low signal and would not connect which I interpreted as a failed adapter so replacement seemed the way to go.  I first purchased a Qwest plug and play USB adapter.  I uninstalled the old adapter's driver before installing the new adapter.  The new adapter found the network and when I entered in the security code it worked well.  But,  when I powered down and powered back up the computer would not autoconnect to the network.  I had to go through all connection steps manually each time the computer was powered up.  I carefully went through all the wireless network setup procedures for XP with no luck.  Advantek would give me no help.  I returned the Qwest adapter, went to another store that carried Cisco/Linksys products, and selected an AE2500 since my experience with Linksys was always positive.  I installed the AE2500 and upon installation I was connected to my network and working fine.  But on power down and power up it will not autoconnect either.  I have spent several more hours working on this problem with the AE2500 and have not solved the problem.  What I have learned is: SOMETHING IS CLEARING MY PREFERRED NETWORKS LIST ON POWER DOWN.  I need help in finding the source of this clearing of the Preferred Networks List.  If more info is needed ask away.

Thanks for any help given.

Larry

forsaken

Re: New USB Wireless Adapter (AE2500) will not auto-connect to network

First of all the steps of clearing the preferred networks is:

Step 1. Go to Start menu, Control Panel and select Network Connections.

Step 2. Right-click the Wireless Connection and select Properties.

Step 3. Go to Wireless Networks.

Step 4. Under Preferred Networks, remove all entries.

Step 5. Click OK

As well as refer to the link: http://virginmobile.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2842

As  well as make sure if the WLAN AutoConfig service is set to automatic.

1. Click on start button, type services.msc and press Enter.

2. Scroll down to the WLAN AutoConfig service, right click on it and select Properties

3. Click on General tab, select Automatic for startup type.

4. Click on Dependences tab and make sure that all the dependences services are set to Automatic. Then click on OK button.

Bo2
Bo2

Thanks for the suggested solution.  I had been through all those steps before but tried again.  Still not solved.  As stated in the OP the preferred networks list is cleared on power down so there was nothing in the list to clear. I went back through all the network settings and all were as you suggested.   Manually entering my network into the Preferred Networks list got me connected with no problem.  But, the Preferred Networks list is still being cleared on power down.

This computer auto connected properly with the old USB54G adapter, when it was working, and the problem showed up after I uninstalled it and  tried the Qwest adapter.  The Qwest adapter was plug and play while the USB54G had its own installation software.  The new AE2500 has its own installation software, too, but it looked like XP wanted to control the installation.

Any more ideas?

forsaken

This certainly seems to be an issue with the OS.

You can try installing the utility of the Linksys adapter again and try to connect using that, if you haven't tried doing that yet.

Or, there are certain third party utilities available on the internet which are free and quite good. Here's the link for one of those utilities to download - http://www.boingo.com/boingo-apps/boingo-wifinder/pc/

I'm sure that this will save the profile you create and connect automatically.

Bo2
Bo2

Thanks for the link.  I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Larry