Beejster
Accepted Solution

Problem: 13-digit WEP key

I'm trying to get my PCMCIA wireless card (wpc54g v3) that I use in my old laptop working on a different one.  Both are running Windows 2000 SP4, both install correctly and can see their networks.

The problem is that, on this new machine, I want to connect to a network that uses an Open WEP configuration with a 13-digit hexadecimal WEP key.  All of the WinXP / Vista laptops connect just fine, asking for this WEP key upon trying to connect, and their properties report it as Open WEP (not WPA-PSK or any of those).

However, since this is Win2k, I have to use the Linksys software to connect, and it will only accept 10-digit or 26-digit WEP keys.  The end result is it easily finds the network, but will not receive any data from the router because it can't validate.

I've tried:

1. Putting the WEP key in the "passphrase" box and letting it translate to a 64-bit WEP key

2. Putting the WEP key in the "passphrase" box and letting it translate to a 128-bit WEP key

3. Putting the first 10-digits in the 64-bit WEP key box

4. Putting the last 10-digits in the 64-bit WEP key box

5. Putting the 13-digits in the 128-bit WEP key box padded by 0's to the end

5. Putting the 13-digits in the 128-bit WEP key box padded by 0's at the beginning

6. Exporting a profile, manually editing it with a hex editor to replace each of the four locations of the generated WEP keys with the 13-digit key used by the router, then importing the profile

8. Using the 13-digit WEP key in all other available modes (WPA-PSK, etc)

So far none of this has resulted in the network card properly authenticating, and the packet monitor confirms that the network card is receiving no info from the router.

The network is a school network, so I don't have authority to change the password to a 10-digit or 26-digit WEP key. If I remember correctly the router is a Netgear router.  I'm using the v3.1 software available for download from the site, corresponding with the adapter type I have.  Briefly tried the v7 software after testing all this, but determined it was for a different product (a USB adapter, specifically).

Any ideas?

forsaken

Re: Problem: 13-digit WEP key

What is the model no of your Router ?

It is correct...if you are using 64-bit WEP then it will accept only 10 digit alpha-numeric key and if you are using 128-bit WEP key then it will accept 26 digit alpha-numeric key.

So please check the wireless settings on your router first and try to connect.

Beejster

I finally figured it out on my own, so this can be marked as solved.

I was assuming the 13-digit WEP code was a hex key because it only contained numbers and letters from A-F.  However, upon disassembling it from its ascii values to 2-digit hexadecimal pairs (eg, a=65, b=66, 0=30, 1=31, etc) I ended up with a 26-digit hex value that worked.

Sadly the Linksys setup program doesn't give the option of entering 26-digit hex 128-bit WEP encryption codes as their equivalent 13-digit ascii code, thus all the confusion.  Hopefully that ability will be added to future versions, if support of these cards continues...

joseangel123

serverguy

[ Edited ]

Have you ever seen any unit which allows such entry?  I have done this hundreds of times on many different units from various manfacturers and have never seen the type of entry you request.  It is always, in my experience, entered as only 0-F.

o224984

I am not that good with computers. Can you explain to me what you are saying. I hooked my router back up and I now have a diffrent laptop. When I enter the Key it says it is connecting and then nothing happens. This seems similar to what your issue was, however my key is 10 characters. Can you help me?

SGardner

I am having the exact same problem - nothing I enter, from passphrase to WPA key, is working...

910apac

I having the same problem with the WEP key and trying to connect to my work laptop.  Any suggestions?

I_Luv_Tech_Boys

I;m confused, did it work or did you determine what was required and it wasn't possible.  I'm not a complete novice but I still haven't a clue how to proceed (that is if you were successful in connecting the adapter to your router :robotwink:

I_Luv_Tech_Boys

Oh my goodness... it was so easy to install and is up and running now.    I still don't understand the instructions still, but I just fiddled around with the things and it worked through.