Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mboose

Random lag spikes

For some time now my wireless internet connection will lag out for a few seconds, every few minutes or so.  This is most noticeable when gaming.  My ping will be 180ms or so, but I will randomly get lag spikes.  I've been direct connected to the router and this wasn't an issue but as soon as I went wireless it started happening.

My router is a linksys Wireless-G, my USb adapter is a Linksys compact wireless-g usb adapter

Any help is greatly appreciated.

oook

Re: Random lag spikes

Whats the Model number of your router. Assuming that you have a G series router and you are facing that problem on your wireless computer, Here are some settings which you can set on your router, i think this might solve your problem.

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1
Leave username blank & in password use admin in lower case...
For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
-Here select manual configuration...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
-Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...

- Set the Wireless channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...
For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WEP, Encryption should be 64 bits.Leave the passphrase blank, don't type in anything...Under WEP Key 1 type in any 10 numbers please(numbers only and no letters eg: your 10 digit phone number) and click on save settings...Please make a note of WEP Key 1 as this is the Security Key for the Wireless Network...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect... 

Mboose

Perhaps something else I should have mentioned before, although I knew it went in wired connections, is that another desktop that I keep direct connected doesn't connect to the internet at all =/  It use to and then it stopped, but I'll hook up my laptop directly and see if I can configure it so that the lag stops.
oook

Sure you can connect your Laptop to the router and check if you are online or not. If you are not online, First you can check the Physical Connections between your Modem - Router and Computer.Then click on Start - Run - CMD and click Ok, then in the command prompt window type "Ipconfig" and check whats the Ip address you are getting it on your computer. Once you computer is connected to the Router, then your computer should get the IP address in this range : 192.168.1.xxx. If you are still not able to go online, then i believe your router needs re-configuration. 

Click Here to setup your router with Cable ISP.

Click Here to setup your router with DSL ISP.

Once you re-configure your router, you can makes that changes for your wireless, and check if you are able to go online, and check if you are facing that problem or not. 

Mboose

Alright, the model number is WRT54G V8

The population on my gaming server has been lower today but it 'seems' that the problem is better.  Although I still run into the problem of the game lagging out occassionally but it does seem to be for a shorter period of time.  Again, this could be the game so for a few days I'm going to test it.  It mostly happens when there are a lot of graphics being displayed in which it will lag and then everything will happen very quickly in order to catch up.  Also I'm using ventrilo to talk to people and when this happens, sometimes I get disconnected from the game and my ventrilo.  Sometimes my graphics try to catch up and then it sounds like everyone is takling over each other, but I assume it's what they're saying catching up.

I followed all the directions stricly, except for the WEP part.  I use WPA right now and I didn't know how critical it was that I do that.

Other than that, I can let you know if it's gotten better for sure in about a day, depending if I'm on anytime soon.

Also, I used the cd, the easylink cd for configuring my wireless router in which I followed all the steps.  Idk if that's different than your links or not.

Mboose

After some 'testing' it seems that the problem still occurs, in fact I think it may be worse now as it tends to lag when nothing is hardly happening.
oook

Have you tried upgrading the firmware of your router, and re-configured all the settings on it again. If you have already upgraded the firmware of your router, and still the problem persist, then you may try to update the drivers of your wireless adapter.You can download the drivers from the linksys website and before you install the latest drivers, first you need to uninstall the previous drivers from your computer , reboot your computer and try to install the driverrs on your computers again. Once installed sucessfuly, you can try connecting to your wireless network and check if you are facing the same while playing the games Wirelessly.