-BoneZ-
Accepted Solution

-- SOLVED! -- USB or PCI wireless adapter disabled and won't enable under Windows 7

The fix: Uninstall ZoneAlarm!

I've spent 3 days and 3 different adapters trying to solve this problem. I first bought a Netgear PCI wireless adapter. Installed per the instructions. Device manager showed the adapter working properly but disabled and nothing I tried would enable the adapter.

Took the Netgear back to the store and bought a Linksys PCI wireless adapter. Same exact problem. Device manager said the adapter was working properly, but disabled and wouldn't enable.

Then I called Linksys support and payed them the small fee for the remote service and they couldn't get it working either (of course got money back). They suggested either contacting Microsoft support or purchase the USB version.

I went and picked up the USB version today (WUSB600-N v.2) and guess what? Same exact problem. Device manager showed the device working properly, but disabled and wouldn't enable. After talking to some other techs besides myself, we agreed the only other option was to reinstall windows. But right before I decided to do that, I checked Google one last time and came across a post in the Vista forums by someone who had the same exact problem, uninstalled ZoneAlarm and then their wireless adapter worked.

Well, I decided to try that before reinstalling windows. As soon as I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and the computer restarted, the adapter automatically was enabled and found my network! That means ZoneAlarm was controlling the network adapters on the computer and for some reason not allowing a wireless adapter to be enabled.

I then tried re-installing ZoneAlarm. After I re-installed, my wireless adapter became instantly disabled and wouldn't enable again. So I uninstalled ZoneAlarm permanently. My router has SPI and NAT firewalls on top of the Windows firewall, so I don't need ZA anyway.

If you have ZoneAlarm, get rid of it. If you are still having the problem of your wireless adapter not enabling and don't have ZoneAlarm, try uninstalling whatever 3rd-party firewall software that you've previously installed (not Windows firewall).

I was really frustrated after spending 3 days with 3 different adapters and so many trips to the stores taking adapters back and purchasing different adapters. I'm glad I found that post on Vista forums, so credit goes to whoever made that post.

On a side note, after installing the drivers from the CD and/or Linksys website, Windows update showed there was an updated driver on the Ralink website which I installed and so far no problems. My WUSB600-N automatically connected to the 5ghz band on my dual-band router and speeds are blazing fast and signal is strong in a totally different room.

Hope this information helps others finally solving this problem.

Cheers, 

Matt

redtriumph

Re: -- SOLVED! -- USB or PCI wireless adapter disabled and won't enable under Windows 7

Hi Matt,

Glad you've solved your install,

Quick question, was it a Win 7 32bit or 64bit OS ?

Cheers

Graham 

-BoneZ-

Re: -- SOLVED! -- USB or PCI wireless adapter disabled and won't enable under Windows 7

64-bit, but it should work on either. ZoneAlarm takes over the network connections and wasn't allowing the adapter to be enabled. Even shutting down ZoneAlarm didn't work either. ZoneAlarm had to be uninstalled for the adapter to be enabled.

The Vista drivers work just fine with this adapter. Then a Windows update found updated drivers from Ralink that also are working just fine.

If you have the drivers installed properly and Device Manager shows the device working properly but disabled, then uninstalling any 3rd-party firewall/antivirus should do the trick.

I'm a tech, plus I consulted other techs as well as payed for tech support from Linksys and nobody could figure this problem out and it's no wonders. Who would've thought that ZoneAlarm or other 3rd-party antivirus/firewall software would take complete control over network connections and not allow new network adapters to be installed properly.

If anyone needs any help beyond this, feel free to ask.

picacio

BONZ, I don't have Zone Alram, I am running Kaspersky 2010 and just windows firewall.  I cant get anything to work that I have read here so far.  I really do not want to re-install windows 7.  What other firewall type tricks should I try? 
-BoneZ-

In device manager, what does the adapter say? That it's working properly?

picacio

Yes, I just read the post you put about the "Brand new out of the box computer" and third party software.  I have a Dell desktop that I bought from Best Buy and I am experienceing all the isues that others are.  In the device manager it says that my adapter (v2) is working properly and I cannot enable my wireless connection on the adapter settings page.  Where can I go to check and see what third party software may be preventing my adapter from working? 

I have a Dell  i545-0600B Inspirion Desk Top

Much thanks in advance! 

Santos

-BoneZ-

If you go to "Control Panel" and then "Programs and Features", it will list all the programs that are currently installed. I would first start with any antivirus or firewall software (not Windows firewall) and see if that works first. But unless you are experienced enough to know which one of those programs in that list are native to Windows and which are added in later, then there's not much help I can give beyond that.

Alternately, as long as you have your restore disks (or have to make them from the partition on the harddrive), then you could always uninstall one program at a time, restart your computer and see if the adapter works. Then uninstall another program, restart and see if the adapter works. Then you would be able to tell which program was keeping your adapter from enabling. As long as you have your restore disks, or even your own copy of Windows, then if you accidentally uninstalled something that wasn't supposed to be, you would be ok.

It really does suck not knowing which 3rd-party program is keeping these adapters from enabling correctly. At this point it's just trial and error. If you had the time to uninstall each program, one at a time and doing a restart each time, then we could figure out what other 3rd-party software besides ZoneAlarm is keeping these adapters from enabling.

Bevshaq

Matt, saw your solution to installing a wireless adapter on a pc with Windows 7 (64 bit). My computer has windows 7 (64 bit) and I'm trying to install adapter model WUSB11, version 2.6. Do you have a suggestion on how I can do this - or is the adapter just too old to work on Windows 7?
picacio

BoneZ, OK now I feel like a real dork!  I went to Network and Sharing Center, Change Adapter Settings, Right Clicked on Properties, and then UNchecked the box with "Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter" on it and PRESTO!!  My adapater came up, I enabled it and I am up and runing now on the internet like a champ!  Hope this helps someone else out!  Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Santos

-BoneZ-

[ Edited ]

Bevshaq wrote:
Matt, saw your solution to installing a wireless adapter on a pc with Windows 7 (64 bit). My computer has windows 7 (64 bit) and I'm trying to install adapter model WUSB11, version 2.6. Do you have a suggestion on how I can do this - or is the adapter just too old to work on Windows 7?

At this point, it looks like it may be too old. Window Compatibility Center says that it's working with the manufacturer to get this device certified:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Linksys%...

That could also just be a nice way of saying that it probably won't work. Have you installed the drivers and then looked in Device Manager to see if it is working correctly?

Message Edited by -BoneZ- on 01-01-2010 05:19 PM