dwallersv

SOLVED: WSB300N Connection problems

[ Edited ]
Well, sort of. I don't know if this will fix the WUSB300N as I returned the two I had earlier this week because of their complete uselessness. However, I have solved my N network NIC problem, and share this here to help others with their WUSB300N. This is long, but a worthwhile read -- you might be able to get your WUSB300N working properly (or, dump it and get a D-Link DWA-142).

First, my setup: Replaced my entire network with a Linksys N-based network a few weeks ago. WRT300N router, two WUSB300N client adapters for the two wireless PCs. Nothing but trouble since day one, same things as others here.

After dozens of hours working on this, researching on the net, etc., I have the answer to the problems.

The WUSB300N uses a chipset called TOPDOG made by Marvell. This same chipset is in every 802.11n draft adapter implementation out there from what I can tell -- Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, etc. There might be a competing chipset, but I stopped investigating when I nailed down the source of the problems.

All these implementations use a driver made by Marvell, the manufacturer of the TOPDOG chipset. There are different versions out there, but apparently none that are OEM-specific.

CAUSE

Two manufacturers NICs experienced the same issues -- Linksys, and D-Link. I didn't try any others. Both cause disconnects (manufacturer's wifi manager managing the connection) or system hangs/crashes (XP managing the connection through WZC). The failure seems to only occur when a large number of TCP connections are being managed by the system, as well as a high rate of connection attempts to different hosts.

This sort of environment is exactly what happens in P2P applications. Most common are bittorrent clients, and on-line gaming.

I could blow out the WUSB300N within a minute or two by firing up Azureus (bitorrent), with a lot of seeding torrents (60).

Problem #1 is the Linksys WUSB300N implementation. It's flaky hardware. I had two, and both behaved exactly the same on my WinXP machine with the latest driver available from Linksys (v1.0.1.7, IIRC).

The DWA-142 Wireless N USB adapter from D-Link performed much better regardless of the driver. The Marvell driver installed from the CD was version 1.0.1.2; Both NICs worked with this driver, and average throughput was about 25% faster than with v1.0.1.7 shipped with the WUSB300N. As noted, WUSB300N died within a minute or two of cranking up the connections and connrate. D-Link ran for as long as 2 hours without a problem, then same failure mode.

This was true with all three Marvell driver versions I had: 1.0.1.7 from Linksys, 1.0.1.2 from D-Link, and one other, 1.0.5.5 that came from a Microsoft optional update. Again, both mfg adapters worked with all these drivers, all failed in the same way, D-Link was massively more stable (and a little faster) than Linksys.

THE SOLUTION

Marvell apparently has fixed these problems in their latest driver. It is version 1.0.6.4. The only place I could find it was on the D-Link website, in the support section, available as a beta download for the DWA-142. Unfortunately, this is a package (v1.2) that includes all the D-Link custom monitor apps and other crapola, and the driver files (inf, sys, cat) are buried in a cab file, so it's not easy to install just the driver. You have to install the package. However, once installed, I was configured and running in no time, and started testing.

Solid as a rock.
Fast.

No disconnects or crashes (yet). Fired up Azureus 2 hours ago, started a large file copy (24GB) between the two wireless PCs, and am connected to the suspect machine via Remote Desktop from where I'm writing this post. No problem in sight (fingers crossed!)

Since I don't have a WUSB300N any more, I can't test drive v1.0.6.4 with it. Someone who has one should. I'd be shocked if it didn't work (i.e. function), and very well may solve the disconnect/crash problems for this NIC too.

Also, those of you with the WUSB300N should be pounding on Linksys to get this driver out the door ASAP. Why don't they have a beta release like D-Link? D-Link seems to be more interested in their customer's satisfaction, for some reason.

Anyway, that's what I've found. Hope it helps. I love my Linksys router -- I have a similar story to this on the router front with Linksys in the winners circle, and Netgear -- my prior networking solution for 10 years -- on the scrapheap.

So, now I have a mixed mfg network... Linksys WRT300N router, awesome and rock solid, two D-Link NICs on the PCs. Everything seems to running as it should.

I'll post again tomorrow after this setup has had 24 hours to run, and let you all know how it comes out. Looking pretty good at the moment!

Message Edited by dwallersv on 10-17-2007 01:44 PM
dwallersv

Re: SOLVED: WSB300N Connection problems

24 hour results: Rock solid. The problem with the WUSB300N and all the other NICs out there using the Marvell TOPDOG chipset is the driver.

It doesn't look like anyone's paying attention to what I've been posting here. In any case, hope this helps someone. I'm outta here.

To wrap up: WUSB300N users need the latest driver from Marvell to fix all these problems with disconnects, hangs, crashes, etc. The version is 1.0.6.4. You can get a beta download from D-Link's site for the DWA-142 product, their TOPDOG based NIC, equivalent to the WUSB300N. The driver is buried in a CAB file, so you'll have to install the entire package. If anyone reads this and wants to try it with the WUSB300N, post a reply and I'll give some detailed instructions on how.
mtn rain

Hey, I don't know if my problems are the same as yours,
but I have the wusb300n model and it will disconnect  for no apparent reason,
and also if the computer ever enters sleep mode, it disconnects and cannot be repaired unless I re-boot the whole system.
I may try the updated driver you recommend, but what do I do with all the other useless stuff that is in the package?  can I delete it after, and how?

dwallersv

Try this:
  1. completely uninstall the software, including drivers, from Linksys for the WUSB300N.
  2. Download the driver package for the D-Link DWA-142 from the D-Link site and install it. When it asks you to plug in the D-Link adapter, plug in your WUSB300N. When it tells you the driver isn't certified by Microsoft, continue anyway.
  3. Bail out of the D-Link monitor stuff however you can. If it will actually let you configure the WUSB300N connection, give it a try if you like, but I wouldn't bother.
  4. Open Services from the computer management interface (right-click My Computer, select "Manage"), make sure that Wireless Zero Configuration is set to Automatic, and start it.
  5. Get to the "Properties" panel for the WUSB300N nic in whatever fashion you prefer. This is the dialog where TCP/IP, Workstation, QoS, and a bunch of other services for the interface are listed, and can be enabled or disabled. It is where you get to the properties page for TCP/IP to manually configure IP, DNS, etc. With WZC running, there should be three tabs at the top of this dialog, "General" "Wireless Networks" and "Advanced". Select "Wireless Networks".
  6. Make sure the box for "Use Windows to manage my wireless settings" is checked.
  7. Reboot to be safe.
  8. After rebooting, if everything works, you should be able to find and connect to your network in the usual fashion. Because you are using WZC, the D-Link monitor and other junk won't run... it'll just waste a little disk space. Once everything looks solid, you can try just deleting this stuff from Program Files\D-Link, and make sure you clear out any startup entries for any of it in the various locales where startup info is stored (there are a few places in the registry, and in the Documents and Settings tree; I wouldn't bother, but just live with it until Linksys gets their act together an releases this driver).
  9. Final check: Right-click My Computer, select Properties. Select Hardware tab. Run the Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters. Double-click on the Linksys adapter (may not say linksys, but will say USB). Check that your running driver version 1.0.6.4 from Marvell.

If everything is working, you're done!

BTW, still rock solid after several days now. I've thrown everything I can at it, stressed it to the max with both throughput and TCP/IP connections (both quanitity of open connections, as well as high rate of connection requests), and I haven't had any failure at all.

One more tweak you may want to make is to increase the anti-worm connection rate limitation that Microsh!t put in the TCP/IP driver, and didn't make configurable. It's a real pain for P2P applications. Default is 10/sec... I've upped mine to 16384. P2P apps are much more responsive, and with file-sharing networks, throughput is usually higher too. Go to http://www.lvllord.de/ for more info.

Finally, please post back and let us all know how it works out.

MotoBob

I really want to use your solution but the D-link set up will not put in driver. Everytime I plug in the WUSB300N it installs with the Linskys driver (1.0.5.1) even after I uninstall Linskys driver. I don't have any Linksys software on computer either.
I'm using the WRT300N router and can't keep it connected to internet so I would really like to solve this problem. Do you know a way I can stop windows from installing the Linksys driver? Hope so  - I have been fighting this trying everything for weeks. Thanks.
mtn rain

same here, the linksys installs regardless.
mtn rain

thanks for trying to help.
(I think linksys should do something now.)
why aren't more people having this problem?
how much does a d-link adaptor cost?
will it be compatible with the linksys base?
thanks again.
Aly
Aly

I know this thread is really old but if anyone stumbles upon it, I would just like to point out that the new drivers for Linksys are availabe and can be downloaded from the Linksys Site: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859916411&packedargs=sku%3D1160093476789&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=1641135852B03&displaypage=download#versiondetail Updates to the Driver version: 1.0.7.2 (XP and 2K) and 1.0.3.2 (Vista) These drivers are also available from the Dlink site and are an update to the beta drivers discussed here.

The driver you are linking to is for an adaptor not a router