Aviaf

Solved Issue: Wireless N Adapters and Windows 7 !!

[ Edited ]

So after hours of scouring the net to try and make my WUSB300N work on my Windows 7 64 bit system, I finally found a solution.

I went back to cisco live chat to tell them what it was because although there are no windows 7 drivers on the product's page, plenty of people still buy it thinking its Windows 7 compatible (you think cisco would care to make its products comaptible with sch a widespread system) and it seems to have a hit or miss style of wroking on Windows 7 and more often than not, it doesnt work at all on 64 bit systems.

So the problem has been that N networking has had quite a few kinks that have only recently been ironed out, and because of this, updating the BIOS on your computer will fix the problem most of the time. The same drivers that windows installs by itself will now work with your USB adapter.

This has fixed the issue for both of my computers which I tried it on.

The only catch is the bios update should be less than a year old so that it adresses the problem. My Dell laptop for example doesn't have a bios update since 2007 which means it still wont work on it. 

My desktop on the other hand has had multiple bios updates since last year, and the latest one fixed the problem.

Anyway, I tried to tell a cisco live chat helper to post it in the faqs or pass it along to someone who would, but they just said it doesnt support windows 7 because it has no drivers, rather than trying to help cisco's customers.

I hope this works for people who have had a slew of problems with usb adapters for N networks, at least now I wont have to pay half of the price i paid for it to return it to newegg (due to handling, restocking fee, and shipping :smileytongue:)

Props to Madduru from MSDN forums for posting this hard to find gem of a fix. Hope me posting it here helps other people, ironically i stumbled upon it after giving up hope on the linksys product and was searching for other adapters that were said to work well.

Also thanks to cisco forums for having an autosave feature on their topic posts so that when i closed this window by mistake i didn't lose everything i typed, because we all know, its never the same the 2nd time around :smileytongue:

clunsf

Re: Solved Issue: Wireless N Adapters and Windows 7 !!

I have a driver that I downloaded that has worked grreat for my windows 7 pc's and I did not have to mess with the bios.

Send me an email if you want it.  email id is: psescape@msn.com

Hope this helps,

Cecil Lunsford

suewinky

Please forward the driver information for the N series wireless adapter in order to download Windows 7. It would be great to have instead of getting a new adapter. Thanks,

jeol830a

in response to your 'solved issues' post, how do i obtain an updated bios on my Dell inspiron 9300 with a bios date in 2005?

cbement

I would love if you would send me the driver that works with Windows 7.

Thanks,

Craig 

christophella

Hi to ya.. I wood love for you to send me the driver info. for the WUSB300N for my Windows 7  64-bit

bartsky

Thanks to the person on the WUSB600N issues blog I have been able to load my WUSB300N adapter on my Dell desktop Windows 7 computer.    Here is the fix:

Most likely you have Zone Alarm on your computer.    To get the adapter to load and install you need to completely uninstall the Zone alarm program.   Then install the adapter.   After you see that the adapter is working you can reinstall  Zone Alarm.

This worked great for me after spending many days trying to figure out the issue and just about to purchase a different adapter.   I hope this helps.

Haleymom

Can you please send me the driver to use the wireless N adapter with windows 7 please.  I appreciate it.  Thanks!

Hope

panzies4panties

You can download the W7 driver for the WUSB600N, here. http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/adapters/WUSB600N

emstrod

Could you please send me what I need to make my wusb 300n adapter work on win7 64 bit system. Thanking you in advance