seanomac

Trying to connect Linksys Wireless Router to Verizon Fios Wireless Router!!

Hi.  I had Verizon Fios installed today.  They connected me to an Actiontec wireless router, however the signal is very weak and I can't get a connection on my laptop.  My desktop is wired into the router and it works great.

I decided to connect my WRT54G Linksys wireless router to the Actiontec router and use that for wireless.  I'm trying to set it up as an access point, but think I messed up.  Here is what I did:

I connected a cable from the LAN port of the Verizon router to the LAN port on the Linksys router.  I disabled DHCP on the Linksys router and disabled wireless on the Verizon router.  My laptop can see the linksys router and connect, however it cannot acquire an IP address.  When I wire my desktop to the Linksys with an ethernet cable, I get internet access, so I know it's getting to the Linksys router.  Just not sure why I'm not getting an IP address when I connect through wireless.

Any thoughts?  Something obvious?  Thanks.  I only know the basics on setting up a network, so I'm sure I missed something.
seanomac

Re: Trying to connect Linksys Wireless Router to Verizon Fios Wireless Router!!

Nevermind.  I had the IP address on the Linksys router all messed up.  I corrected this and now I'm back in action.
bakern

I have the same exact set up and problem you were having. I have been unsuccessful with linksys and verizon help.

Could you tell me exactly how you solved the problem?

Thanks
Neil
seanomac

[ Edited ]
Let's see. I'll try to remember my steps.

While your computer is wired to the Fios router, go to the DOS prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) and type ipconfig. Write down the Default Gateway address. It will probably be something like 192.168.1.1.

Now plug your computer into the Linksys router and get the Default Gateway address the same way. It's probably the same address, mine was. While plugged into the Linksys router, open a webpage and type the Gateway address into the address bar. Log into the router setup page. Username and password usually default as admin for both, but you may need to check your manual.

Once you are logged in, you need to change the Local IP Address. You want the first three numbers to match the Verizon address, but the last number needs to be different. For example, if Verizon was 192.168.1.1, then change your Linksys starting IP address to 192.168.1.100. I also disabled DHCP. Before you leave the screen, you may want to change the username and password to something personal. Up to you. This is also where you would setup security features like requiring a password to use your wireless signal, but you can mess with that later.

Now, connect your computer back to the Verizon router LAN port. Wire one of the Verizon LAN ports to one of the Linksys LAN ports. The Linksys router should now be acting as a wireless access point. I also logged back into the Verizon router and turned off the wireless signal since it was basically no use to me. Very weak signal.

I'm writing this from memory, so I hope I didn't leave anything out. I'm not that experienced with home networks, but I did a lot of reading before I got this working. I have had no problems since. Hope it works for you. Merry Christmas.

Message Edited by seanomac on 12-24-2007 06:32 AM
bakern

Thank you so much for this information. I will give it a try and let you know how it works out for me.

Verizon says the router manufacturer only guarantees the wireless signal for 10 feet. How obsurd is that. If my device is within 10 feet of the router, who needs wireless?

I have had nothing but trouble with Verizon Fios. TV works fine but Internet (both wire and wireless) have been giving me trouble and my 2 phone lines went dead after 3.5 days.

I'm begining to wonder if I made a mistake dropping Comcast and picking up Fios.

With Comcast, one phone # for support and an easy website. With Verizon, at least 1/2 dozen phone #'s and I dont know how many websites which are virtually worthless. I can go on for a long time about the lousy support from Verizon but I dont want to take your time.
Thanks again,
Neil
ps I will let you know how the router set up works out.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

bakern

Your instructions were great. Up and running off the linksys router (same model as yours).

Only one additional item needed to be mentioned and better explained for other users with our problem:

Since network gurus won't be lokking for this kind of information, it is the less than expert that will be reading this thread so I am taking the liberty to add a few pieces of information.

When accessing the Linksys router (when cabled to it with the laptop (or other wireless device) changing the local ip address is actualling changing the ip address of the router. The DHCP of the Verizon router will increment the ip address of each device connected to it. If you have several computers and tv's (all Verizon set top boxes at the tv's get an ip address) addresses assigned may already be set at 192.168.1.1xxx. It is then necessary to set the local ip address of the linksys router at a higher number than 192.168.1.1xxx. I used 192.168.1.200 as the routher address (set the local ip address).

Turning off DHCP on the linksys is absolutely necessary as you can't (or don't want, not sure which that is) two routers maintaining the ip address assignments for new devices..

Now is the time to set up securtiy on the Linksys.

Then plug the linksys router into the Verizon router and connect wirelessly from your remote devices to the Linksys router and Voila, all is good again.

I'm really shocked that neither Verizon nor Linksys could have told me this. It is really so simple once you understand what is going on. I was beginning to think the problem was with the laptop and it's inability to obtain an ip address off the Verizon router. I think perhaps, since I always had a very strong signal from the Verizon to the laptop but couldn't obtain an IP address, the problem is not with the signal but due to a ton of defective Verizon routers being distributed.

Thanks again for your assistance with this problem. What a great way to begin the holiday season.
Neil

seanomac

Glad it helped! Thanks for clarifying some of the info. I actually used the .200 as well, but didn't even think that the set top boxes might have a conflict with the IP address.

I'm glad I already had this wireless router before I signed up with Verizon. They really pitch the "free wireless router" as a selling point and then it turns out to be pretty useless. Other than that, I can't complain too much. The On Demand screens are much faster than my old RCN and the internet connection has been a lot faster as well.

Buon Natale
Cislunar

Re: Trying to connect Linksys Wireless Router to Verizon Fios without Action TEC router

My FIOS comes out of the wall using ETHERNET CAT 5. I have only FIOS Internet and phine. No TV.

How do I setup my E3000 router I tried yesterday all day and it would never detect the internet signal. It did connect wireless to my laptop great.

I would apppreciate detailed guidance on this. Thanks.

seanomac wrote:
Hi.  I had Verizon Fios installed today.  They connected me to an Actiontec wireless router, however the signal is very weak and I can't get a connection on my laptop.  My desktop is wired into the router and it works great.

I decided to connect my WRT54G Linksys wireless router to the Actiontec router and use that for wireless.  I'm trying to set it up as an access point, but think I messed up.  Here is what I did:

I connected a cable from the LAN port of the Verizon router to the LAN port on the Linksys router.  I disabled DHCP on the Linksys router and disabled wireless on the Verizon router.  My laptop can see the linksys router and connect, however it cannot acquire an IP address.  When I wire my desktop to the Linksys with an ethernet cable, I get internet access, so I know it's getting to the Linksys router.  Just not sure why I'm not getting an IP address when I connect through wireless.

Any thoughts?  Something obvious?  Thanks.  I only know the basics on setting up a network, so I'm sure I missed something.

Qwerty1583

I've been trying to cascade my E2000 to my Verizon FIOS router for the past few hours now. I'm paying for 20 Mb/s DL, and I'm getting 22-25 when physically connecting to the router, but only 7-12 wirelessly. So I figured I'll connect my N-network router to their horrible B/G router. I generally knew how to in the first place -  disable the FIOS router's wifi, change the IP of the E2000 to something that won't match the IP of something else that's in the network, disable DHCP of the E2000, and then connect the two routers on numbered ports on each side. I've run into two problems that Verizon's tech guy couldn't help me with, and Cisco's guy can't because apparently they don't offer free service for this model anymore, or something to that effect.

1. After changing the IP address of my E2000 from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 - I get a 50% chance of being able to return to the web-based setup page (typing the IP address into a browser's URL). I've had to reset the thing half a dozen times and repeat step number 2. I try both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 several times before giving up and resetting the E2000 to start from scratch.

2. I was once able to successfully connect the two... for no reason. I checked my bandwidth, and I still barely reached 11 Mb/s of DL 4 feet away from either router. I tried unplugging both routers, and then the connection broke, the E2000 was no longer broadcasting the internet after they both reset.

So I reset my E2000 for a 7th time.

I've now changed the IP address of the E2000 to 192.168.2.1, disabled DHCP, (and also changed the network name, password, changed the channel width to auto, set the radio to 5.0 from 2.4, etc etc) - my laptops (OSX 6.8, Windows 7) are getting 5/5 bars... but getting a self-assigned IP, so I'm not able to connect to the internet wirelessly, but when physically connected to the E2000, I'm getting 21-25 Mb/s. I want to smash the E2000 into the FIOS router, please help.