psmithbiomax

Using SBC 2wire as DSL modem AND router for second computer

I know the SBC  2WIRE is a modem AND a router. Our old config used the 2wire for DSL connection, and we also had a WRT54G v5 wireless router to get the connection to our second computer using  Compact wireless G USB Adapter.
Last week for some reason the connection  to the second computer no longer worked  Who knows why....

I have spent a ton!!!! of hours and way over my head...even got to the point that we couldn't connect to the internet using the 2wire on the main computer.  :smileysurprised:(((  Give me a LITTLE knowledge and I'm dangerous. :smileyhappy: And I have had hours of time spent on the phone with SBC and HP.. both blaming each other.

We now have the 2wire connection working to the main computer.  I had to disconnect the Linksys router completely and would like to just use the 2wire with my Linksys  wireless G adapter.  Is this possible and recommended?

Can someone direct me to instructions how to reconfig and the steps I need to take to get my second computer connected and can I use the linksys wireless G adapter with the 2WIRE?  All my devices are working.  I'm using XP pro on main HP computer, and xp on second computer which is Sony VIO.
THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

toomanydonuts

Re: Using SBC 2wire as DSL modem AND router for second computer

[ Edited ]
If you could tell us the model of the 2wire, and the model of the Linksys wireless  adapter, perhaps someone could help you.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 05-13-200704:04 AM

psmithbiomax

I ACTUALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!!  Once I realized that I needed to allow the windows wizard to create the LAN wireless connection on BOTH computers... and I changed the configuring from the Linksys monitor to allow Windows to config the adapter..(that was a stopping point before)....I was then able to change a couple setting in the internet OPTIONS and VALLLAAAAAAA !!!   PERFECT AND FAST connection!

I think this was my MOTHER'S DAY GIFT because of two week's of GRIEF.   Now today I need to figure out adding my new 2.0 high speed USP host ports onto the mother board--but my son is coming over and he's been inside computer boxes before... but ...   I'm starting to scare myself!!!   And you can bet I  SCREAMED and did the  HAPPY NETWORK DANCE  when I got the connection the first time.

BTW  I did read several threads here which helped me understand more and get this done!

THANKS GUYS!!!

Patti
jenerin

I'm having the same problem psmith but could you explain exactly what settings you changed to make it work?
MackandLucly

Am just having the same problem connecting a  router for a second computer. Could you please be son kind and guide me step by step (I am not computer wizard) Thak you.
jclaudio

I would also like to know how you did it, im having the same problem. Now i cannot connect with the 2wire by itself.
Braveninja

I have 4 desktops, and all running off of an SBC router, 1 is main to router, 3 run on SBC 2 Wire Wireless adaptors.  4th computer is now a new Vista OS and 2 Wire Wireless Adaptor software will not load (SBC cannot explain).  Had to hook back up to Hepna Adaptor BUT now system is disconnecting at will.  Will a Lynksys Wireless Adaptor with VISTA compatability fix this problem, and will it work with the current SBC 2 Wire Router?
ReggKeyawa

Where do I find the answer to the above Subject.