Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
mrsmith_007

Vista 32 bit drivers

Hello all :smileyvery-happy:
It has come to my attention that there are a few adapters that do not work on Vista 32 bit with the XP drivers on your Linksys CD so I am posting this for anyone that needs it. I do believe that as new hardware comes out it will have Vista and 64 bit computing support. This is for Hardware that does not support Vista as of yet.

Simply download the driver for your adapter, extract it from the .zip file, open Device Manager, right click on your adapter and select "Update Driver...". Then select "No, not this time" to search windows update, click "next", select "Browse my computer..." and browse to the folder you just extracted from the .zip file.

If you can not get the XP drivers from your Linksys Installation CD working on Vista x86 for another specific adapter, or are haveing issues installing one of these drivers, please send me the following info:

1.) Your Operating System version
2.) EXACT make and model # of the adapter
3.) Hardware ID of the adapter (in Device Manager right click
  on your adapter, select "properties", select the "details"
  tab at the top and then select "Hardware ID" from the
  drop down menu.)
4.) EXACT error message AND code # if you are haveing an issue with one of these drivers.

***64 bit drivers for some popular adapters can be found here:

Thank you for your time and HAPPY SURFING :smileyvery-happy:

Core2 Duo, Intel D955XBK, 8GB Dual Channel Extreme Performance PC-6400 RAM, 1TB SATA2 RAID +0 (main array), 4TB SATA2 RAID +0 (storage array), Multi Display, XP Pro x64 -Vista Ultimate x64 - Windows 7 Pro x64 (multi boot) :smileyhappy:
Flareii

Re: Vista 32 bit drivers

Vista 32 Ultimate
WMP54g V 4.5

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0301&SUBSYS_00551737&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0301&SUBSYS_00551737
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0301&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0301&CC_0280
no ERROR MESSAGE. Vista indicates the current 2005 driver is the most up-to-date.  Tried the WMP54g v4.1 which didnt work. Please assist if possible.

Flare
Kev_Dawg

I can not even seem to install it, all I get it some sort of error saying error occured or something like that. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and I don't get why it's not installing my WMP54G PCI wireless adapter. Now what should I do, how do I get this to work?
Atekido

my Vista for some reason  connected with the original drivers from the windows XP i had installed.  but the connection was POOR i went from downloading 1.5 megs a second to downloading 5-30 kb a second.  well i found the new vista drivers here.

but like you said it says current drivers are best.  so you have to uninstal and remove the drivers and all the linksys software.  might aswell.  WLAN monitor does not work with vista it seems.

once you remove all the drivers then update driver and choose the folder you downloaded the new files from.  i now am halfway back to my original speed.  download 100-400 kb a second now.  still slow for me.

Windows Vista seems just as bad as XP about monitoring the wirless connection.  the connection is very jumpy even though it says excellent 100% of the time. 

i sent a message to linksys about needing to fix their WMP54G WLAN monitor to be Vista compliant.
gyung

I've been trying to install my WUSB54GSv2 for the last 2 days on Vista x86, but the drivers don't work (tried both XP and Vista x86). Device manager doesn't actually throw up an error, but when it's diagnosed, it says:

The network adapter "Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster v2" is experienging driver or hardware related issues.

Hardware ID:

USB\\VID_13B1&PID_0014&REV_0006
USB\\VID_13B1&PID_014

The driver date actually says 1/25/2005, 4.1.20.0

Verified the adapter works on my laptop.

And the tech put me on hold, almost 30 min now... using speaker phone while trying to fix this. Guess it's back to XP, and never buying Linksys again.
Atekido

well my connection is finally running good. i have the generic router and the adapter and i guess its true their is like a learning curve for it. im runnint 16-17 meg now :smileyhappy: faster than i ever did on XP
arnaudfischer

What am I supposed to do with the Vista 

WMP54G v4.1Wireless-G PCI Adapter

Should I copy them somewhere? There is no instructions whatsoever beside These Linksys products are upgradeable with simple driver updates for the best performance and compatibility with Windows Vista.

Thank you
Running Vista Ultimate
AMD Dual core
3GB RAM

-arnaud
mrsmith_007

Hello all :smileyvery-happy:
First of all, PLEASE check the Linksys download section for updated Vista 32 bit drivers. If there is not a Vista 32 bit driver posted there and the XP driver wont work please send me the rquested info.

there is no setup file for the drivers. There is no extra software. And you DO NOT want to use the Linksys WLAN Monitor software either. UNINSTALL THE LINKSYS SOFTWARE IF YOU HAVE IT INSTALLED. Especially with Vista OS. Download the proper driver and extract it from the .zip file then save the .zip file to a safe place. You need the extracted files to install your adapter.

Once you have UNINSTALLED the Linksys software and you have the correct driver for your adapter and OS please follow the following steps precisely:

#1. From the Start Menu open up control panel. If you are not useing the "Classic View" please click on the "Classic View" on the left to switch. You can switch it back later. Then double click "Administrative Tools" and click on "Services". Scroll down to the bottom of the list to "WLAN Auto Config". Right click on it and select "Properties". If the service is not running click on "Start". Set the "Startup Type" to "Automatic" and click on "Apply" and click on "OK". then close the windows.

#2. Go back into "Control Panel" and double click on "Administrative Tools" and select "Computer Management". Now on the left click on "Device Manager". Assumeing that your WMP54G is already physically installed in your computer (but still needs drivers), you will see it in the list. Should be under "Network Adapters" and there will be a little exclamation mark next to it showing that it is not working. Right click on your adapter and select "Update driver software". When the Hardware Wizard opens select "No, not this time" to search the web and click "next" then select "Browse my computer..." and click "next" now click on the "Browse" button and browse to the drivers you extracted from the .zip file you downloaded and click "next". If you get a "driver not signed" message or anything else click on "install anyways". I promise it wont hurt your computer.

#2.a. If you have not already installed your adapter, shut down your computer, install the PCI card (or plug in the USB type) and then start up your computer and log on. A balloon will pop up from the System Tray saying "Found New Hardware". Click on it and when the Hardware Wizard opens select "No, not this time" to search the web and click "next" then select "Browse my computer..." and click "next" now click on the "Browse" button and browse to the drivers you extracted from the .zip file you downloaded and click "next". If you get a "driver not signed" message or anything else click on "install anyways".

#3. After it is installed close the windows out. you should be back to your desktop. An icon should show up in the taskbar and say "wireless networks are available" you will need your encryption key and such to set up your network. Make sure you know which network is yours because the key for your netork wont work on someone else's network and vice versa. You can get the key by accessing your router from any connected computer.

You can access your network settings from the "Network and Sharing Center" in control panel after this.

Have a great day and happy surfing :smileyvery-happy:

mrsmith

Core2 Duo, Intel D955XBK, 8GB Dual Channel Extreme Performance PC-6400 RAM, 1TB SATA2 RAID +0 (main array), 4TB SATA2 RAID +0 (storage array), Multi Display, XP Pro x64 -Vista Ultimate x64 - Windows 7 Pro x64 (multi boot) :smileyhappy:
mrsmith_007

[ Edited ]
Flareii and gyung :
Both of you may have to uninstall first. Open up Control Panel and double click on "Administrative Tools". Select "Computer Management" and then click on Device Manager on the left of window when it opens. Right click on your adapter and select "Disable" and click "OK". Now do the same to uninstall. When you get prompted for the uninstall place a checkmark next to "Delete driver software" and click "OK". Make sure you have UNINSTALLED THE LINKSYS SOFTWARE if you have it installed and set the WLAN Startup Type to Automatic as outlined above. Then log off and power off your computer. Not just a restart but power off. Wait 30 seconds and start it back up. Then follow the rest of the steps outlined above.

Atekido:
Have you tried moving your adapter around? Let me describe my setup. There is 2 shelves above my monitors. Both of my adapters are on the top shelf about 2 1/2 to 3 feet apart. My router is on the other end of the house (about 50-60 feet away) and I am "locked in" so to speak at a full 54 mbps on both adapters and download speed averages 300-400 kb/sec. on either adapter if I dont use my download manager. Just a strait Internet Explorer download. If I use my download manager that average quadruples. So try moving your adapter around. rotate it. etc. see what happens.

EDIT: As for the "jumpy" connection you need to configure your connection manually (static IP) and disable DHCP. Open Control Panel and double click on "Network and Sharing Center". On the left of the window, click on "Manage Wireless Networks". At the top click on "Adapter Properties". Click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" and click "Properties" Write down all of the info you see. IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway and both DNS server IP's. Now select "Use the following IP address" and type in all the info you just wrote down. Now click "Advanced". Click on the "DNS" tab at the top and remove the checkmarks next to "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix" and "Register this connections address in DNS". It is already registered now that you are online. Now click on the "WINS" tab and select "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP". Starting with XP you dont need this. It opens ports on your computer that dont get used for anything but malware attacks. (Trojans, worms, etc) Why have open ports that arent needed? Click "OK" and "OK" and click "Close". Now close the rest of the windows.

Disableing DHCP completely on Vista becomes complicated. If you are a developer or need to auto detect/connect to proxys or something else along those lines, you need the WinHTTP service which relies on the DHCP service in Vista. However, you can set the "Startup Type" to "Manual" on both services if you have trouble with them disabled. (that was a hint) I personally set both to manual startup and disabled the DHCP on my adapters in the registry. If you find that you need the WinHTTP service and/or the DHCP service for some reason but are uncomfortable editing your registry, email me and I will give you specific instructions on how to get me the info I need to create a registry file for you that you can merge into your registry to accomplish the disableing of DHCP on your adapter.

Hope this stuff helps you all out.
Have a great day :smileyvery-happy:
mrsmith

Message Edited by mrsmith_007 on 02-03-200701:32 AM

Message Edited by mrsmith_007 on 02-03-200702:09 AM

mrsmith_007

[ Edited ]
Kev_Dawg, please be specific.

It is best to reach me by email if you need direct assistance. I dont get in here as much because I am working with others also. Creating 64 bit diver configurations, Malware removal, etc.

Have a great day :smileyvery-happy:
mrsmith

Message Edited by mrsmith_007 on 02-03-200702:19 AM