Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
linksys@afriat.net
Accepted Solution

WET610N to connect switched ethernet network to wi-fi

Hi

I am thinking of buying the linksys WET610N ethernet bridge to connect to my WRT610N wi-fi access point.  I need to connect several ethernet devices together using a 5 port 1Gbit ethernet switch.  I want to connect this wired and switched network to the internet via the wi-fi access point (in order to get to the internet modem).  My question is this:

Can the WET610N bridge a whole ethernet network to the wi-fi A/P and not just a single device?  All the documentation suggests it needs to be just a single device connected to the bridge.  Obviously only a single ethernet cable can be connected to the bridge, but if I put a 5 port switch, can I then use the wi-fi from all 5 devices connected to the switch? 

Thanks

oook

Re: WET610N to connect switched ethernet network to wi-fi

Yes, once you configured the WET610N then connect the switch to your WET610N (bridge)...and now you can connect more than one device to the switch... 
linksys@afriat.net

Thanks for the answer.  I have to admit that before posting my question, it was not at all clear to me if the dhcp from the a/p would work for all the devices hanging onto the switch, or even if I was going to get routing problems such as no traffic making it to the wifi, or just as bad, all traffic going via the wifi.  

Do I need to use the ethernet bridge as a gateway for an explicitely configured ethernet subnet, or does it all work seamlessly because the bridge and switch both work transparently and intelligently?

Thanks.

oook

You do not need to configure it as a gateway...just connect the switch to WET610N and switch will distribute the IP Address to all the 5 devices...
baemayr

I have the same question that was originally asked, but now I'm confused.  You said:

> You do not need to configure it as a gateway...just connect the switch

> to WET610N and switch will distribute the IP Address to all the 5 devices...

Is it distributing one IP to all 5 devices, or can each device that is connected to the switch obtain its own address from the DHCP server?

Thanks for clearing this up.

linksys@afriat.net

I went on to buy the bridge and have found that as a network bridge it works well.  I have 3 ethernet devices connected to the switch, they each receive a unique IP address from my wi-fi router.  Furthermore the other wi-fi devices can connect to the ethernet printer that is connected to the network via the bridge and switch without trouble.  HOWEVER...the WET610N and WRT610N appear to work very badly together and the bridge fails to hold a steady connection to the router on the 5Ghz wireless N channel.  I have found that by flashing DD-WRT on the router (build 12672) the connection holds better but I haven't yet found a way to get over 14mbps (the linksys firmware was just as bad).  I think this is more a router problem than a problem with the bridge.
satwar

[ Edited ]

baemayr wrote:

I have the same question that was originally asked, but now I'm confused.  You said:

> You do not need to configure it as a gateway...just connect the switch

> to WET610N and switch will distribute the IP Address to all the 5 devices...

Is it distributing one IP to all 5 devices, or can each device that is connected to the switch obtain its own address from the DHCP server?

Thanks for clearing this up.

The router will assign each device a unique IP address if using DHCP.

Message Edited by satwar on 10-03-2009 12:33 PM
baemayr

Thanks for replying.  I haven't yet tried hooking up the switch after the bridge, but will do so today.  I have a TIVO, PS3, XBOX360, and Roku Soundbridge and it would be nice to have them use a wired connection so I don't have to reconfigure them individually when my network changes.

I had exactly the same experience with the WRT610N and the WET610N -- I have to reboot the router every 18-36 hours or it loses the wireless connection.  Not just to the bridge, but also to our iPhones -- the wireless network just disappears and instantly reappears after I reboot the router.  So the WRT610N is going back today (day 27 of Best Buy's 30 day return period); I replaced it a week ago with the NetGear simultaneous dual-band router and that's worked like a dream.  With the WRT610N, I'd get 300kbps in my back yard with my laptop (it only has wireless G); the Netgear gets me 10mbps in exactly the same place (checked with the speakeasy.net speedtest, so that rate may have been bounded by the 10mb WAN port).  The WET610N connected to it immediately when I pushed the buttons on both (connected on the 5ghz channel); I haven't yet benchmarked its performance, but the bridge's status page says 15mpbs.  That should be sufficient to speedily transfer HD programs between our TIVO HD-XLs.  

Note that I had v1 of the WRT610N; maybe the just-released V2 version is better, but that router has been an exercise in frustration for me, with the daily reboots that it required.

baemayr

A follow-up: tried it this weekend.  I hooked the Roku Soundbridge up along with the TIVO to a Linksys 5-port 10/100 router, with its uplink port connected to the bridge.  Both the Soundbridge and the TIVO got separate IP addresses. 

I previously used a wireless "B" card in the Soundbridge to stream lossless WMA audio.  That worked, but it would drop out whenever the Microwave oven in the same room was used.  With the LinkSys bridge and switchrunning in the 5ghz band with the NetGear router, downloading the 800+ list of albums is instantaneous, song start to play instantly, and I have yet to hear a dropout.   And the bridge is inside a cabinet with the doors closed.  Very pleased.